DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new here and bought a 1998 S10 pickup to convert to an EV. It has a 4.3L automatic transmission and I keep reading that it should be a manual transmission (due to RPMs, etc.)

There are two manual transmission available for my S10: 2.2L and 4.3L. Does it matter which one I use?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
If you're keeping the transmission you're probably using a brushed DC motor, or one of the AC motors designed with the mounting face on the case. That usually means buying a ready-made adapter to mount the motor to the transmission, so you would want the transmission to work with an adapter style (shape and arrangement of bolts, called the bell housing pattern) which is available.

The 4.3 V6 presumably uses the Chevrolet V8 pattern, while the 2.2 four apparently has the GM Metric (also called Small GM Corporate, and S10) pattern. You might want to check with the likely adapter supplier (such as CanEV) to see what is available.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
If adapters are available for both patterns, or the transmissions have bolt-on bell housings that you can change as required, and you have a choice of transmissions, it would make sense to choose the stronger NV 3500 over the lighter-duty NV 1500. There's also the BorgWarner / Tremec T5 in some S-10s; I don't know how it compares to the NV 3500.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I looked at CanEV and found their adapters. I'm going to loop them into what I'm looking at (NV3500) and take it from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts