DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,958 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
What a mess that is over there. Now it's the partial meltdown of the Nuclear reactor and they have evacuated a 12 mile radius. A second explosion is perhaps likely. Anyway, those who have MOPP gear keep it close by and expect the worse. Who knows if they can get it under control or not there.

If it blows, the radioactive dust will travel for thousands of miles. They are still getting massive after shocks as well. China syndrome going on right now.

URGENT: Risk of New Blast at Japan Nuke Plant, 'Partial Meltdown' Likely

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/0...anese-nuclear-plant-facing-possible-meltdown/

After all what good is having an electric car when we have to be alive to drive it.

MOPP gear or rain gear, gas masks, Potassium Iodide, duct tape, garbage bags, food, water and a good location to sit it out for a few weeks if there is radioactive dust coming our way. (Where ever we live.)

Maybe its just me, but I keep my MOPP gear handy at all times now.
Just in case.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
most of the truth comes out early ,as well as lies . But I heard "at least 8x normal radiation" then within minutes 1000x normal radiation . next they will tell us about the average radiation coming over the US is at safe levels , not a lie but not the truth . 1 cubic meter of air on average will not be very high but will have dust particles in it . inhale a particle of long half life dust , if it stays in your lungs very long . Not a good thing . The most vulnerable very young and old .added;checked out the link ,oh boy!

G

·
Speculative bull shit. Until they release the information it is useless to spread gossip and fear. Could it be as serious as a China Syndrome? Maybe. Chances? Not likely. They built the thing in a country that is earthquake prone and I am quite sure that the safety measures are in place.

For now all I hear is speculative information being spread around like the news does all the time.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Speculative bull shit. Until they release the information it is useless to spread gossip and fear. Could it be as serious as a China Syndrome? Maybe. Chances? Not likely. They built the thing in a country that is earthquake prone and I am quite sure that the safety measures are in place.

For now all I hear is speculative information being spread around like the news does all the time.
That's exactly the point, nuclear power plants built in earthquake zones is insanity. The reactors need cooling, when the power goes down, the diesel generators are supposed to run the pumps and at two plants they aren't running hence the radioactive steam venting.
Safety measures in place? Safer not to build them.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
News stories have been all over the place regarding the reactor crisis since the earthquake. Whatever happens, I think its very unlikely that we will see a Chernobyl style explosion.

The full story will come out in due time.

Oh, and the blast was said to have been caused by a buildup of hydrogen gas caused by a rapid injection of coolant after the reactor was already over heating.

·
Administrator
6,276 Posts
I am with Gottdi on this the reactors will have been built with multiple containment - I expect any radiation release to be on par with one year of a similar sized coal plant

On the other hand to Karlos's point why is everybody building PWR's - the design has inherent positive feedback - I prefered the AGR's - but only one generation was built, I know the industry is (appropriately) very conservative but after 60+ years why are second generation reactors still being designed?

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Things are going from bad to worse for this great country. Despite the highest standards of safety that Japan follows to prevent damage due to earth quakes they are facing some grim realities today. The double whammy of earthquake and tsunami has brought this nation to its knees.

Looking back they shouldn't have built nuclear reactors in earth quake prone zones and so close to coast where tsunamis are likely. But, who can plan for the huge quake and monster tsunami that followed.

Japan had 40 foot walls to keep out tsunamis and buildings that were earthquake proof. But all its preparedness could not prevent the power and fury of nature from taking its toll.

Can anyone predict that these things will not happen in another part of the world. Indian ocean had no known history of tsunamis yet, 2004 produced a disaster that took 200,000 lives. Haiti's earthquake was triggered by a previously unknown fault line.

Instead of growing smug and thinking that we can master the natural forces it is better to acknowledge that we have not yet reached that stage and use non-riskier alternatives. No country better than Japan knows the risks of a nuclear fall-out yet, they chose to go for it.

Life has a very curious way of teaching us things. It is left to us to draw those lessons and learn from it and not repeat our mistakes.

Hope other countries are paying close attention to the unfolding disaster in Japan. Closing our eyes will not make it go away.

My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Japan who are facing all this with a stoic calm and character that only they are capable of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts