DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wiring two controllers (Zilla 2K HV's) to two Netgain 11" motors is why I am starting this thread. I have not spoken with my guy yet on how to wire this type of set-up (Holiday), so I am starting this to help me and new ev racers. And yes the thread will be polite. :p

I am assuming both controllers must be wired separately to each motor in series to gain 4000amps at the wheels? Has this been done before? I know Lawless wired two Zilla 2K's to one motor to create 4000amps, but two motors?:confused:

The new Lipo Batteries will create a stiff pack that can push 5000amps.:eek:

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
Wiring two controllers (Zilla 2K HV's) to two Netgain 11" motors is why I am starting this thread. I have not spoken with my guy yet on how to wire this type of set-up (Holiday), so I am starting this to help me and new ev racers. And yes the thread will be polite. :p

I am assuming both controllers must be wired separately to each motor in parallel to gain 4000amps at the wheels? Has this been done before? I know Lawless wired two Zilla 2K's to one motor to create 4000amps, but two motors?:confused:

Hi Ronnie,

I know you politely asked me not to participate in your threads. But isn't that presumptuous of you. I mean, this is an open forum in a free world, right? So here is my polite reply.

You say you have hired in the brains to do your job but come here and ask advice. How many DIYers do you think own a Zilla? How many own two?

You want some free consulting or advise, I hope you get it. From this site, you have stated you just consider it rubbish. So if members want to waste their time as I am doing, so be it.

And sincerely, good luck with your vehicles. You'll need it. I wish you would have worked with us instead against us. But that was totally your choice.

major

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or does the terms "series" and "parallel" only relate to wiring one controller to two motors?

I guess you can wire each Zilla directly to each motor (separately) and get 4000amps and max volts your motors can support. How does the throttle controls correspond? :confused:

As long as the pack will support it! :D

I am assuming both controllers must be wired separately to each motor in series to gain 4000amps at the wheels? Has this been done before? I know Lawless wired two Zilla 2K's to one motor to create 4000amps, but two motors?:confused:

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Major,

I will have the answer to my question on Monday. I started this thread to explore different avenues of discussions for the new guys when building an ev race cars.

In regards to working with you or against you is another very good subject. We would not have a problem if you would only open your eyes to our side of the NEDRA disagreement, you were not in the private talks, you were not on the phone when I spoke with Chip. You attacked me because of what you read on the Nedra board, but by then the pissing matches started. We have our reasons for holding our ground, it was Nedra's choice whether or not to work with us. Yes, I was persistent, I was putting up thousands of dollars for advertisements and arrangements, I needed ECEDRA to be a separate entity to cover my own investment.

The flames between NEDRA and ECEDRA have been turned down for weeks, I have been in contact with some of the NEDRA people willing to build a bridge. Maybe one day my board, and the NEDRA board can come to some type of a working agreement for the racers. By you attacking me on almost every thread does not help matters.

I wish you and your family the best! Happy New Year!

Hi Ronnie,

I know you politely asked me not to participate in your threads. But isn't that presumptuous of you. I mean, this is an open forum in a free world, right? So here is my polite reply.

You say you have hired in the brains to do your job but come here and ask advice. How many DIYers do you think own a Zilla? How many own two?

You want some free consulting or advise, I hope you get it. From this site, you have stated you just consider it rubbish. So if members want to waste their time as I am doing, so be it.

And sincerely, good luck with your vehicles. You'll need it. I wish you would have worked with us instead against us. But that was totally your choice.

major

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I answered my owned question:

"The Zilla works excellently with single motor systems, but realizing that many of the quickest EVs use dual motors, the Hairball interface also has a option for safe automatic Series/Parallel shifting of dual motors for even more power and efficiency."

I am still concerned how two connected motors, powered separately will operate, I would hate for one to "fight" the other. :confused:

http://cafeelectric.com/zilla.php?zenAdminID=74843299a81299efa3d61314338bea89&zenAdminID=74843299a81299efa3d61314338bea89&zenAdminID=74843299a81299efa3d61314338bea89&zenAdminID=74843299a81299efa3d61314338bea89

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After reading this comment I thought you were commenting in regards to NEDRA, knowing you post on their forum and attack me relating to matters that were no concern of yours.

"I wish you would have worked with us instead against us"

That's interesting. What does NEDRA have to do with this thread? I thought you were talking about 2 Zillas. My mistake.

·
Registered
7,829 Posts
I was speaking as a member of the DIY forum here. That's all. I'll step out now and let your thread resume normal course. Sorry for the interruption.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, was not sure, sometimes you are a spokesman for NEDRA. Let's stick to the topic.

I was speaking as a member of the DIY forum here. That's all. I'll step out now and let your thread resume normal course. Sorry for the interruption.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let's start the New Year on a new foot. You would do much good by just sticking to answering the questions and not getting personal. Enough said.

I never was :confused: It was all in your head.

Enough about that...Let it go and I won't post back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't know if the motors will fight or not, but you only have 2000a per motor there is no 4k in this equation it will perform like a series connection of the motors, however you will have full pack voltage available to each motor so no rpm limits like you might find in a series setup.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow, I needed to take electronics in Tech School and not automotive. So, even though each controller is connected to each motor separately and your amps of each controller is 2000, it still stays at only 2000amps? Then how is Lawless getting 4000amps with two controllers?:confused:

I don't know if the motors will fight or not, but you only have 2000a per motor there is no 4k in this equation it will perform like a series connection of the motors, however you will have full pack voltage available to each motor so no rpm limits like you might find in a series setup.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You will have 1 motor per controller. Assuming unlimited power into the controllers you will be able to push 1 motor with the full potential of 1 controller. You will in effect have the equivalent of a double length motor with a double power controller. Same voltage but double amps. You will of course place more demand on your pack but you say it is capable of 5000A so you should be fine. Wire 1 controller to 1 motor, wire the other controller to the other motor, and wire both controllers to the same battery pack and same throttle input.

Don't worry about the motors fighting each other. Think of adding a second motor like a car going downhill, the first motor just has an easier time because of the lower load. The only time one would fight the other is if you reversed one.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, that matches what I have been told. Two controllers can run off the same pack and be wired separately to each motor giving each the maximum amps from each controller which is 2000amps each, 4000amps to the wheels. The pack MUST be able to handle 4000amps for atleast 10 seconds without "killing" the batteries. :eek:

You will have 1 motor per controller. Assuming unlimited power into the controllers you will be able to push 1 motor with the full potential of 1 controller. You will in effect have the equivalent of a double length motor with a double power controller. Same voltage but double amps. You will of course place more demand on your pack but you say it is capable of 5000A so you should be fine. Wire 1 controller to 1 motor, wire the other controller to the other motor, and wire both controllers to the same battery pack and same throttle input.

Don't worry about the motors fighting each other. Think of adding a second motor like a car going downhill, the first motor just has an easier time because of the lower load. The only time one would fight the other is if you reversed one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the motors are identical, they should share the load equally. Things like brush timing may affect the loading. Field strength/armature gap can affect the load sharing. In large conveyor systems with multiple DC motors on the chain, they will adjust the field current to ensure that the armature currents are equal. But if each motor has the proper current and voltage limits set in the zilla, you shouldn't hurt them anyway.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will say guys this drag car is getting more interesting everyday. Batteries have been flowing in daily, chassis is changing, and now we are able to add a second 2000amp controller! :eek:

I love the idea that I can add more torque (4000amps) to the wheels, I knew my voltage was limited because of the motors, but amps to the moon!:eek:

I have a few questions, has anyone ever used two controllers and two motors? :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've been wondering if you really need two controllers in this setup where two motors are physically .

A controller limits the speed and torque the motor produces based on volts and amps, right ? With a battery pack feeding a motor with no controller in between, the motor would just speed to whatever RPM the voltage and amps available could push it against whatever load it hits.

So if you have one controller running the first motor, and the second motor is just coasting along until kicked in by a simple contactor -- say when the accelerator bottoms out -- then the second motor would jump in with the volts the pack can produce and whatever amps are available, right ? Like a turbo kicking in. Letting off on the pedal a bit would completely cut out the second motor but you'd still have the first motor still running under control by the single controller. What would be the pitfalls in this approach ?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
So if you have one controller running the first motor, and the second motor is just coasting along until kicked in by a simple contactor -- say when the accelerator bottoms out -- then the second motor would jump in with the volts the pack can produce and whatever amps are available, right ? Like a turbo kicking in. Letting off on the pedal a bit would completely cut out the second motor but you'd still have the first motor still running under control by the single controller. What would be the pitfalls in this approach ?
Sooo... Does these suicidal tendencies of yours manifest in any other way than trying to incinerate yourself in a burning car wreck?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have just spoken with a friend of mine that blew one of his motors using one controller per motor. I will keep the names private, its the problem I want the board to read. His motors connect by chain, but at the time of testing they were not connected. When they turned the power on one motor spun into no mans land and blew before they could kill the juice.:mad:

Both controllers were connected to each motor separately, the ONLY part that was shared was the throttle control (TPS or 5K potentiometer) I will keep the throttle control private also because this would reveal what controllers were used.:eek:

So, it is recommened if anyone builds a two motor/two controller car you MUST use two separate throttle controlls, just connect them mechanically.:D

1 - 20 of 76 Posts