DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These look pretty promising for my outboard project.

I'm building an electric outboad to go on a dive pontoon.

I have a 55hp mercury outboard lower unit.

Feed back .. . . Opinions

Pump Motor pump motor.jpg

Drive Motor drive motor.jpg

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Drive motor is designed for sustained use. Pump motor is used for intermittent use. Both can be used but go for the drive motor. Be aware that the water will rust the shafts and steel items so you must protect those with grease and good paint. Moisture is an enemy of steel motors. Should be fine if you keep your motor as dry as possible. Will be interested to see your motor in use. Keep us up with photos of your build and use of the finished product. :)

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Well, looking at the motors the drive motor only has two terminals and the pump motor has 4. The drive motor will turn in one direction. As long as it moves the direction you need then its not a problem. But connecting the motor to the lower unit might be an issue. If the lower unit has a shaft that fits into the drive end of the drive motor then that would be the one to use. If not the shaft of the pump motor might be better for your needs. Also you can reverse the direction of the motor if needed. Depends on the direction for the lower unit.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I believe you guys have the drive and pump adjectives mixed up. Drive motors typically have 4 terminals for reverse, external spline shaft extension and are 1-hour rated. Pump motors typically have 2 terminals for unidirectional operation, internal spline shaft and short time rating.
Regards,
major

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the drive motor has four lugs.

I don't plan on reversing the motor direction once it's turning the way I want it to. - the lower unit has reverse.

How much can I over-volt that motor before I need to think about advancing the brushes?

I'm planning on using the lower unit water pump to allow for a water cooling of the motor - so hopefully I can push it a bit harder without worrying about heat.

thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm gonna move this over to the Build/conversion forum. Thanks to those who took the time to share knowledge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts