DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Type 2 vehicle socket LED indicators

874 5
Hi,

On most type 2 sockets (the ones fitted to the vehicle) there is a provision for a red and a green indicator LED.
Is there a standard or common use for these indicators?
Gadget Audio equipment Camera accessory Circle Auto part

When you plug a charge cable into the vehicle, what lights would you expect to see, when charging what do you see, when charging is complete what would you see?

For my Land Rover EV conversion I’m thinking a steady green indicator to show AC connected, and a pulsing red indicator to show charging, with the pulse rate related to the charge rate.

or should I be following a standard practice?

-Andrew
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
162 Posts
Hi,

On most type 2 sockets (the ones fitted to the vehicle) there is a provision for a red and a green indicator LED.
Is there a standard or common use for these indicators?
View attachment 126642

When you plug a charge cable into the vehicle, what lights would you expect to see, when charging what do you see, when charging is complete what would you see?

For my Land Rover EV conversion I’m thinking a steady green indicator to show AC connected, and a pulsing red indicator to show charging, with the pulse rate related to the charge rate.

or should I be following a standard practice?

-Andrew
Thats cool. My socket doesnt have those nice leds in it.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A year later and I've finally got around to fitting the LEDs to my Type 2 connector and they are CAN bus controlled!

I've chosen to use addressable LEDs to keep the wiring simple, in this case some NeoPixels: NeoPixel RGBW Mini Button PCB - Pack of 10
This means I only need to run just three light duty wires to the socket (+5V, GND, DATA)

These NeoPixels are super bright - so much so that they can display red through the green plastic lens and vice versa, if required

Controlling the LEDs will be a microcontroller I already have on the CAN bus for other duties Adafruit Feather M4 CAN Express with ATSAME51
I can reprogram the functionality to suit my whims at any time and I can make the LEDs do things like 'breath' when charging

Fitting the LEDs requires removing a blanking plate screwed into the back of the socket
Gas Automotive wheel system Rim Automotive exterior Metal

I designed and 3D printed a bracket to replace the blanking plate and used some double sided tape to affix the LEDs and the original screws to hold it all together
Gadget Machine Auto part Electric blue

Automotive exterior Auto part Bumper Wire Rectangle

Its a bit rough as a bench test prototype
Ideally I'd print it in black and as one piece but its a start and it works well

Gas Audio equipment Automotive lighting Gadget Machine

Audio equipment Auto part Cable Machine Electrical wiring

So now I have CAN bus controlled indicator LEDs on my charging socket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts