DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this conversion well over a year ago and life and employment got in the way. I recently had the chance to revive the project and have made some progress.

I apologize in advance for the pictures. I'm a lousy photographer and my camera is an aging phone.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Trunk
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Wood
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Trunk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, not sure why it duplicated those pics.

I'll post some more once it's wired up and I know the range. Eventually I'm going to add a roof rack full of solar panels to grab those solar volts.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It Lives!! Mostly. Well, It moves under its own power.

Many things left to do.
1 - patch the frame - Got some nasty rust damage.
2 - Heat sink for the controller - It's been ordered - just a little slow in arriving.
3 - Need to build the battery charger. I have most of the parts and pieces accumulated but I can't seem to figure out how big of a capacitor I need or the best place to buy one.
4 - solar panels - Every place I've found that has a good price on solar panels is 2 1/2 to three hours drive each way. Need to find something closer.

Right now I'm running 72 volts of lead acid batteries. I Know there are many here that get all bent out of shape about lead acid but I'm on a tight budget, I don't need more than 15 moles of range, I don't have any local access to fancier batteries, lead acid are dead simple and very forgiving about abuse and I can yank them out of the truck and use them for boats and back up power when needed.

Currently my top speed is pretty enemic - I'm assuming Going to a higher voltage would improve this but I don't have the budget for that right now. And, this truck rarely went over 25mph when it had it's gas power plant. With the gearing in this truck I could pull tree stumps

I won't do a proper range test until I have the charger finished. then I can load a generator and self rescue.

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like an Isuzu truck... And I'm irrationally angry at you for calling it ugly!
It started its life as an 84 Toyota and some of it still is. and it’s a proudly ugly truck. Prior to the internal combustion going up it was entered in a few different ugly truck contests and came home with a trophy On at least one occasion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts