DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm going to be doing an EV conversion next year and currently looking at the best options for sourcing batteries. The most cost effective way I can see of doing this at present is to buy a crash damaged EV at auction. Does anyone know of any better options?

Thanks,
Jonny.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you just want the battery then a breaker will happily sell you one, or indeed an entire vehicle.

I've recently purchased an additional four leaf packs complete (1x 24 + 3x 30) from Charles Trent (not for EV use), they sent me cell voltage reports for each pack, and shipped from Devon to the Midlands.

Prior to that I've sourced from a number of breakers yards, however the days of finding a battery for £100 are long gone.

https://www.trents.co.uk/motor-salvage

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you just want the battery then a breaker will happily sell you one, or indeed an entire vehicle.

I've recently purchased an additional four leaf packs complete (1x 24 + 3x 30) from Charles Trent (not for EV use), they sent me cell voltage reports for each pack, and shipped from Devon to the Midlands.

Prior to that I've sourced from a number of breakers yards, however the days of finding a battery for £100 are long gone.

Very helpful thanks!

·
Registered
117 Posts

What sort of prices did you pay for the leaf pack ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reasonable price for a 30kw pack, have seen them on ebay for 5K

·
Registered
6 Posts
A crashed battery pack should have a negative (disposal) value. Then again, anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
A crashed battery pack should have a negative (disposal) value. Then again, anything is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it
Why?
It's worth a great deal to somebody converting an IC car or to somebody with solar cells looking for storage

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's impossible to see exactly what damage occurs when a vehicle crashes
All manufacturers have the responsibility to recommend crashed battery packs are disposed of correctly
I appreciate the appeal of a crashed battery - but anyone acquiring one should do so with eyes firmly open (even if the cells appear to be OK)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Mike,

sorry to take a while to get back to you. I'm looking to build a ~30kWh pack. Ideally I would be using cells with >10C discharge rating, however this is not a requirement. Looking to go for approximately 100s (probably not to much higher than this due to the need to recharge on public DC chargers) and whatever number of cells in parallel to achieve the 30kWh target.

Initially I was considering using 50 modules from 30kWh leaf batteries however as I will be building a battery box and using a commercial BMS, I could look at anything that achieves reasonable power density.

Cheers,
Jonny.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts