DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I don't ever do this, and nobody paid me or gave me any special deals, and I've also made a habit not to praise anything on the web, but I'm breaking that rule. This spring, I upgraded my car from PBA to TS-100ah LiFePo4 w/miniBMS.

! ! From the start it was a nightmare ! ! I was one of those poor soles who's order from evcomponents was literally in a container sailing the Pacific Ocean as the company went into chaos. Fortunately, something in my gut said to only pay a deposit up-front. In the end I was able to get my batteries, but only in person and it wasn't how I prefer to do business. That said, they came...

I pulled my old dead-led-sled pack (12x12 AGM Deka 80ah) out and moved all 44 100ah TS in the nose. This is a horrible weight distribution, and I need to re-spring the front (heavier) and the back (back to normal) but... I get my trunk back and all my big-load wires are nice and short now < 2'.

I also want to call out Dimitri for his help on the miniBMS system, he was great. It's a dirt simple system and it just works plain and simple. I've been commuting on it for a couple months now, while everything hasn't gone perfect. On one occasion this year, I had to drive home through a torrential mid-west thunder storm with 1' mud muddles and lost some battery units from shorting. He was there to help me fix it.

This combo has completely changed my car. It's still slow mostly because I have an anemic controller, but it's a lot lighter, climbs hills better and it's seemingly infinitely more useful and reliable as a mode of transport. This wasn't cheap $5k all said, but it was worth it in the end and I'd recommend it to anybody and even do it again myself.

[Edit...]
Folks are asking, click here for the DIY garage link

-Bruce

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Nice Bruce! This kind of first hand experience is priceless..... Thanks for sharing..Good on u man...... :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I pulled my old dead-led-sled pack (12x12 AGM Deka 80ah) out and moved all 44 100ah TS in the nose. This is a horrible weight distribution, and I need to re-spring the front (heavier) and the back (back to normal) but... I get my trunk back and all my big-load wires are nice and short now < 2'.
-Bruce
Excellent, Bruce. So what type of EV do you have, how's the mileage and performance? :cool:

RUSSCO

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't know, and haven't delt with either, but i really think three people on this site you can trust are Major, Dimitri and Tesseract. I mean not, to exclude our other sages. But these guys have my trust.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Excellent, Bruce. So what type of EV do you have, how's the mileage and performance? :cool:

RUSSCO
I have another thread going on this very topic. 1986 BMW 325, great car (most important), but mechanical efficiency is only modest, and I'm working on that.

Copy/Paste follows...

These are rough numbers (140v is typical under these loads):

30mph is ~50Amps
40mph is ~75Amps
60mph is ~150Amps (basically floored)

These can be converted to wh/mi and effeciancy as:
30mph is 235 wh/mi (if you didn't ever have to stop)
40mph is 258 wh/mi
60mph is 330 wh/mi

I use 5.3kwh for my 18mi commute each way. Net-Net... 294wh/mi

-Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts