DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking for the best place to install my two Thunderstruck chargers.
I am wondering what IP66 means/implies.
In the manual I found

Protection class: IP66

But also

Don’t place the charger where it can get wet, this may cause damage to the charger as well as electric shock to the operator.

For IP66 I found the second 6 means

Water projected in powerful jets (12.5 mm nozzle) against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.

Which I would find quite impressive for equipment with an open fan etcetera.

So what would IP66 mean in this case?
Or am I misinterpreting?

·
Registered
932 Posts
The connectors on the charger are not all water proof.

Mounting in the engine bay would be a good place or in your rear trunk battery box.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!
My challenge is that I do not have enough room in the rear area. The enige bay is also full already. Within the rear battery box would indeed be great but there is only 86mm of space between the battery module and the side of the box at max. size.
The charger itself is 84mm, but I also need a 50mm gap for ventilation and room for connecting the battery modules.
batterybox-rear.jpg

I did explore adding an extension for the charger but then I need to increase the height of my box and then I have interference with my tow bar and some other stuff.
charger-extension.jpg

That's why I started exploring using the area above the rear axle.
IMG_5997.jpg
I could create a box which would provide an enclosure for the connectors and using gland nuts to feed the cables into that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts