DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I got my hands on some battery packs from what I have heard is from a Volvo project, but not 100% sure.

They are water cooled, have white water connection under them.

Look like they are doubled up with cells when they are compared to the normal 16s LG black packs. Are they 16S2P?

Does anyone have any info about these packs in the attached photos.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
There won't be any surplus battery modules from a Volvo EV yet, and the only plug-in hybrid Volvo model that I can think of is the XC90 T8, although apparently there are also V60 and XC60 T8's as well, all with a battery mounted in the centre tunnel.

They do look a lot like the XC90 T8 modules shown in this article, which includes this illustration of the module structure:

They are water cooled, have white water connection under them.
Interesting... does it look like they have an attached cooling plate with a water passage in it? The alternative would be cooling fins between pouches, like a Volt battery. The above illustration suggests wet fins like a Volt, with manifolds on the bottom (not a chill plate on the bottom)... or as Car and Driver puts it,
the flat, rectangular lithium-ion batteries (shown above) are lined up like dominoes with tubes for liquid cooling between each cell
Apparently you can buy the complete XC90 T8 pack for US$$11,713.85

The Volt modules are 3P (first gen) or 2P (second gen); the cooling plates are between every second pair of cells, regardless of how they are connected electrically. It seems likely that these Volvo modules would be 2P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Loved to know more information about it.

So it is probably a Volvo battery. I heard it was from some project at Volvo HQ. Got lots of them.

I found this on the XC90 T8 battery:
The 9.2 kWh Li-ion battery pack incorporates 96 Lithium Manganese Oxide-Nickel Manganese Cobalt / Graphite cells from LG Chem into 6 modules. The pack is water-cooled.
Voltage 270-400V

So if it is around 400V and six pack in series. Then it is about 60-66V per pack. So that seems legit.

On the picture you sent with each cell visible I can see some sort of heatspreader on each cell to go to the white water cooling block at the bottom.

But I can only see 8 cells in the picture. Is it 2 cells in one or how is it about 60v(16s) also the batteries are not fully charged so don't know really the voltage.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
I found this on the XC90 T8 battery:
The 9.2 kWh Li-ion battery pack incorporates 96 Lithium Manganese Oxide-Nickel Manganese Cobalt / Graphite cells from LG Chem into 6 modules. The pack is water-cooled.
Voltage 270-400V

So if it is around 400V and six pack in series. Then it is about 60-66V per pack. So that seems legit.
Yes, this has become very conventional. 96S is the almost universal choice for plug-in hybrids and battery-electric cars, and the LG pack in the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid is also in six modules (so 16S each).

On the picture you sent with each cell visible I can see some sort of heatspreader on each cell to go to the white water cooling block at the bottom.
It appears that those blocks have coolant circulating in passages within them; the part on the bottom is just the plumbing.

But I can only see 8 cells in the picture. Is it 2 cells in one or how is it about 60v(16s) also the batteries are not fully charged so don't know really the voltage.
Just look at the BMS taps which extend toward the centre line of the module in your second photo, alternating side to side: they are at each step of the series, and there are 16 steps.

The difference between fully charged and nearly dead is not much more than a volt - the observed voltage must be for about 16 cells in series... but at 57 volts, that's 3.55 V/cell, so they're less than half charged but nowhere near fully discharged.

In most of these LG stacks, each polymer (plastic) frame piece holds two cells each with only one side against a cooling plate, so if you count "slices" on the outside you'll get half the number of cells - if it is only 1P, there would be only 8 pairs of cells and only 8 sections of housing, with only 8 cooling plates. It's a pretty low-capacity battery for a plug-in hybrid - half the capacity of a Volt - so maybe in hindsight 1P should be expected.

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
So if it is around 400V and six pack in series. Then it is about 60-66V per pack.
In current EV battery terminology, "pack" usually means a group of modules in a common housing. "Module" means a group of cells in a common housing, complete with BMS wiring, cooling, and structure to hold it together. So these are 16S modules, with six modules connected in series and contained within the Volvo's single pack.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found these pictures.
Shows it is 96 cells and a capacity of 9.2kwh in the 6 modules pack.

But there are 3 different capacity I found that Volvo XC90 t8 is using. 9.2kwh, 10.4kwh, 11.6kwh. that would mean it using 26-32ah LG pouch cells. About 1.5 to 1.9 kWh per module. Wonder which I have?

Yes, like you described, it is 2 cells joined together as seen in this second cut open picture. So there is then 16s in each module. And 96/6 is 16 so it turns out to be match.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also I have lots of them so if anybody wants to buy some from me, let me know.

If the whole battery pack with 6 modules is $12k as in here. That is $2k per module.

So I could sell them for maybe $500 per module or bid. But 300-350 is probably more reasonable.

Located in EU. So probably can't ship to US and other countries.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts