DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Can 32 V @ 500 A DC be converted to 72 V DC effectively?

• Yes - for sure no problem!

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Yes - but doing so is pointless do to physics of electricity

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No idea

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I am not an engineer and still an amateur at electronics in general. I am trying very hard to catch up, so please excuse any forms of ignorance.

The point of this generator is to power my motor and charge the batteries while I drive. I am still working out how to connect it ( any advice appreciated) but this topic has to do specifically with upconverting the generators motor output to be effective for my purpose. It will in essence be a series hybrid while the generator is hooked up. ( Only for a few months until I can upgrade my batteries to lithium)

The 30 volts is DC (corrections 30 volts not 32 as the title says).

I am assuming that at 30V 500amps the current isn't going to be very usable by the controller; nor will it charge the batteries. If this isn't the case and it can still be an effective option please let me know.

I am trying to use a motor I have that is 15kw (30V @ 500amps).

My question is, can I convert it to 72 Volts? Or will it suffer too much loss at these amps?

If its possible I would appreciate any guidance. Building something is perfectly doable if I can find a decent schematic.

Thanks

G

·
What are you using as a 32 volt DC generator? At what speed is the generator putting out 32 volts and 500 amps?

Pete :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jack & Heintz G32 Aircraft DC Generator

Believed to be a starting unit. Labeled "For Ground Power Use Only"
Appears to be refurbished and not used since
Has attached tag from "Sacramento ALC - Condition A"

Nameplate Badge reads:
30 Volts
500 Amps
4000-8000 RPM
G32-3
Opps its 30 volts.

G

·
Mine are not Jack Heinz but I have two. Used to power a VW. With Regen :)

You will need to find out what the output voltage is and at what rpm and amperage before you can move forward for converting to 72 volts. It should be possible to convert to 72 volts. Actually it will be more than 72 volts but you need to know what that generator puts out.

·
Administrator
6,238 Posts
Hi Biostudent

What are you using to drive your generator?
You do know you will need something to spin its input shaft before you can take any power off it?

And NO you can't drive it off your wheels or your D&D motor

Assuming that you are driving this with an IC engine - the easiest way of increasing the voltage is to spin it faster!
Basically if you can double the speed of the generator you can double the voltage
Be careful something may not like the excess speed!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Biostudent

What are you using to drive your generator?
You do know you will need something to spin its input shaft before you can take any power off it?

Assuming that you are driving this with an IC engine - the easiest way of increasing the voltage is to spin it faster!
Basically if you can double the speed of the generator you can double the voltage
Be careful something may not like the excess speed!
I don't know about doubling the speed of it. I am assuming the 30 volts is in the 4000-8000 rpm range. But I haven't tested it yet. I am in the mists of getting ready to move so I am trying to plan at this point. Maybe I can hook up a drill to it and spin it around. Any tool for this?

The engine is a 14.5hp Lawn mower engine.
14.5 hp Tecumseh Enduro Industrial/commercial
Family#STP49OUI62RA
MOD.#0HV17 2040602A

Not sure what you mean. I can't connect directly to wheels? is that what you mean?

So if my controller was set up for regen...that would pretty much be the answer...as long as I get the power up to 72 volts?

G

·
The generator can do 8000 with no problem and will do 3 or 4 K all day long. The issue is what will the generator actually put out at the speeds he wants to use. That will determine if he can up the voltage and half the amps to drive a smaller motor and or charge a 72 volt pack for further distance. The little DC generators are hell for stout and should put out 30 volts and a decent amount of amps at a decent rpm. I just don't know what that speed would be. Never tried yet. Some day I will use one for a generator.

·
Administrator
6,238 Posts
Hi Biostudent

There are ways of converting 30v DC to 72v DC but they are ugly

Is would be better if you had a good hard look at your generator to see if

(a) you can get AC out
(b) you can increase the voltage

It sounds as if over-speeding is not practicable (16,000rpm!) but have a look and see how it works inside

G

·
What he has is a starter/generator. In starter mode (motor) it can go to 8000 rpm because turbine engines need that kind of speed to start. In generator mode I doubt its running at that speed.

These motors don't do AC out as far as I am aware.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So how do you know my motor is Sepex? I am sorry I didn't understand before you were referring to the motor since I never heard of a sepex motor before. It seems its better than a series motor since it has regen features. But, I don't know the horsepower of the sepex motor so it probably is to weak for my purposes. Not sure though.

I was thinking, would it be possible to take the current motor out and put in this sepex motor? I could then get a controller for the sepex motor. Then have the regen hooked up to the series motor which would be spun by the ICE. Getting the series motors output to 72V is something I am unsure of as well. Or if its even required.

Or should I have a series motor and a series generator (or) sepex motor and a sepex generator? Meaning, should the types of motors be matched to simplify things. Keep in mind I am an amateur of electronic theory.

It would be nice to have built in regen!

G

·
I am unsure of what you have in your vehicle right now but that Jack Heinz Generator motor is a special SepEx motor and will require a special setup to work properly. They can belt out a pretty good amount of power but they do not have as high of torque as a series motor. What they lack in torque they make up in rpm. You can't run your series motor with a sepex controller. It's just won't work. Did you have a look at my site? Look at the top right flick. It is a starter/generator like the Jack Heinz motor you have. It is a special SepEx motor and they are built to military specs which far exceeds the civilian specs for motors. These were built only for the aviation industry and military. They are all military spec. That is a good thing. What car again? What is your motor in your vehicle now? I know it's a D&D but what size? 8" 6" What?

http://greenev.zapto.org/electricvw/Electric_VW/Flicks.html

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
here is my motors specs

• 48-72 VDC Series Motor
  • 9 HP @ 72V Continuous Rated *
  • 65 Ft /Lbs Torque Peak
  • 25 HP Peak
    (Similar to the ADC #K91-4003 only longer for more power)
  • 7/8" Single Shaft Base / Face-mounted
  • 6.7" Dia by 12.28" Long
  • Actual Weight 62 lbs
  • Shipping Weight 70 lbs
I get it a controller is specific to the motor type in this case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts