DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow free thinkers! Hahaha I am hooked on electric cars because they are pretty much UFOs built for the road or something and like learning about electric cars. So I bought the most affordable project I could find locally on Craigslist. It just needs new batteries so I bought some LG chem cells! They are from a 2015 Chrysler Pacifica hybrid. Guess they are pretty nice cells from all the videos I have been watching on ev West's BMW. Got 8 batteries and now I am trying to figure out the best way to get them hooked up. Sweeeet!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
How are you going to configure them to your requirements? Are you going to run modules in 2P 120v configuration? Or put the pouches in a custom container?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Huh, that's cool that they come apart like that! Thanks for the tip. I will probably do that. And get everything as close to perfect as I can. Neat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nominal 3.8v x 32 = 121.6v, you can split the tabs and pull the pouches and reconfigure them to 2P 8S modules but you will have to use the balance connections from both sides of the module.
They are spot welded together right? So to reconfigure would require a spot welder or will you used some other method?

·
Registered
113 Posts
The tabs are big enough to solder, I have a spot welder that I use for my 18650 packs that does copper also, but I still like Soldering if it’s far enough away from the cell.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guess it's time to get a soldering setup. Maybe my dad has one. You guys got any recommendations on what works best? Also looking for ideas on a bms that would work good with my zivan NG3. Still trying to get a hold of elcon to get it reprogrammed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Soldering stations are like cell choice. If your competent with an iron you can use anything, my father used a weller and only after his retirement did I find out it was because he could steal tips from work and had a huge selection. I had a metcal in the U.K. when I was repairing stereos and car electronics (12v, nothing like what I’m doing now) and I recently got an iron and have the ersa I-con nano and I really like it, there are a lot of clones of good stations that will probably give you mixed results, the ersa had a grounded tip so it swayed me with that feature.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Soldering stations are like cell choice. If your competent with an iron you can use anything
I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. Your station must be powerful enough to transfer enough heat for the task for large jobs, and for smaller PCB type jobs a fine tip is required

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stating the obvious!, but if I need to I can use a 20w wand and still do an acceptable job. I don’t need my $300 iron to solder a smc board.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stating the obvious!, but if I need to I can use a 20w wand and still do an acceptable job. I don’t need my $300 iron to solder a smc board.
Obvious to me and you but maybe not for the OP to whom you were giving advice

·
Registered
113 Posts
Got it, so your first question was a leading question. I’ll remind myself if that before I say anything else. I’m out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts