DIY Electric Car Forums banner
121 - 140 of 141 Posts

· Registered
5,397 Posts
I was not talking about the "noise". I was interpreting your thermal camera image.

Yes, for example a bearing can corrode in the portions not immersed in lube if it has not moved in a long time.

It may not be an issue - there's no legend showing the temperature gradations, no clue what ambient or coldest temperatures are of the other pieces, and it's hotter to the left of your cursor, right where the bearing is.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I deem the diff "problem" less important than the noise.

Tomorrow the car goes into the barn for storage. Sad. Next year I'll fork over the money for a parking pass on campus - there's free charging!

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Finally a nice day. I charged till it was 4.0 volts per cell today and took it for a 25 minute ride - I went 10.5 miles and averaged 35 mph when moving. I had a top speed of 53.7 mph on flat - there is good acceleration up to 45 mph.

The noise is quite loud at 45 miles per hour. So as soon as I returned I grabbed the Flir thermal camera. Ambient here is 5 or 6 C today.

Here are 8 different photos with the camera - everything looked really good! This was after 30 mins of sustained 30-40 mph driving. There's also another video clip that demonstrates the noise (rattle?) well. The noise is going the whole time except from 0:10-0:17 where I am accelerating.

I looked at all of the wheels with the camera and nothing seemed out of the ordinary - my adapter is stone cold cool, which was awesome to see!

· Administrator
1,762 Posts
Diff is barely warmer than the tires. I wouldn't be concerned.

Maybe dumb idea, but, borrow a go pro, or an old cell phone, and bolt or ziptie it to various places under the car while you drive, and see if you can see what's vibrating by noise or visuals.

It's annoying that it only shows up when driving above 35mph.

Is it there when your car is up on blocks?

Chalk the tires, put the nose into a tree just in case, jack the thing up, and have someone else rev it up with the ass end lifted while you walk around listening for sounds. No point in theory-crafting when you can quickly identify what is actually making the noise, rather than relying on where it seems to be coming from, reflected off road surface and surroundings while sitting inside the driver's seat.

· Administrator
6,620 Posts
In my car the diff talks to me - makes all sorts of noise - I put that down to the facts that it is
Right next to me
No sound insulation/deadening
No engine noise

From inside my car I did not understand everybody saying how quiet it was - it seemed quite noisy
Until I stood outside and a friend drove away - THEN I could understand

· Registered
8,530 Posts
Maybe dumb idea, but, borrow a go pro, or an old cell phone, and bolt or ziptie it to various places under the car while you drive, and see if you can see what's vibrating by noise or visuals.
This might not be a bad idea.

Snowdog recently shared a video about his work on a Hummer conversion. That Hummer builder was troubleshooting some noise from the rear end and put a camera there, then caught the failure of the driveshaft to final drive connection on video... it was dramatic. On the other hand, until the whole thing fell apart, the video didn't show anything useful...

· Registered
895 Posts
If the noise only happens while the drive train is in motion
...then, that narrows it down to "that" system
...& so, it's gotta be in the motor or coupler or drive shaft, or diff or backing plated or brakes

Have you tried just turning the rear wheel (by hand) while the car is in stands & listening?

I have discovered/found many drive train &/or brake system noises with this simple test ;)

121 - 140 of 141 Posts