DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
soooooo yeah my batteries caught on fire one night right when I was going to sleep. My dad yelled at me to come outside because he thought my car might be on fire.
20191008_175711.jpg 20191012_173925.jpg 20191020_173713.jpg 20191012_173803.jpg

My pack shorted out between my positive 0 ought and negative copper busbar wires and my batteries caught on fire shortly. Guess my electrical tape protection wrapping on my copper busbars was not enough to stop them from making contact. Plus, water was making it's way through the tarp I had over it and leaking into the batteries. Darn. Sure enough, I had some angry cells that started off gassing really bad and smoke was filling up the whole entire yard. Then the off gassing lit on fire!
Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
One pack was burning and I was running around having no idea what to do. Luckily my dad has been converted to electric cars and listens to podcast that thrill his mind with electric car technology improvements. He knew that they were taking electric cars that had caught on fire in Europe and just loading them into trucks with a ton of water in the back and just dousing them with water to keep the batteries from blowing up. So we just put the garden hose to the fire and it put it out. Then disassembled the pack and started throwing all the batteries in buckets of water and carrying them over to the fire pit. we stopped the hose to keep from getting wet, then another pack would get angry and start off gassing. Then we would hose it down to put the next fire out. We ended up saving the car. Then I started doing research on YouTube and google and it turns out water makes these things go kaboom when the water gets through the pouch seal so I finally took a day off work to disassemble the modules and take all the cells out to make sure the corrosion wasn't getting to close to the center of the pouch.
20191013_135441.jpg 20191012_174451.jpg 20191013_100137.jpg 20191013_104450.jpg 20191013_104454.jpg 20191013_170420.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got a ton of nice cells still just lost a bunch of tabs from electrolysis corrosion when they were in the water. now, I am trying to figure out the best method for getting these bad boys up and running again in my trike.
Been thinking about how nice it would be to design my new setup to be able to adapt to my new Tesla large drive unit project down the road. going to need to design a new BMS bus bar setup to because my other setup got all melted when the short and fire happened.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Now I am trimming off the crappy corroded tabs with aviator snips right up to where the pouch exterior wrapper kept the water from contacting the copper or aluminium anode and cathode tabs. Used the dremel to grind away the cell wrapper to expose the inside tabs that are still fresh metal. Hooked up my Turnigy and looks like most my cells are right where I left them. One cell module had drained the voltage to the low 2's. But got a lot back into the 3.45 range again. I know I have one cell that is puffed up like a popcorn bag. It has a voltage of 3.45 though. Just threw it in the woodstove I got out back in case decided to blow up. Got two cells that will not stay charged after trying to revive with my cheap Chinese switching chargers. 20191012_174501.jpg 20191025_131522.jpg 20191025_161409.jpg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Anyone know what type of copper or aluminum thin gauge material I should be looking for to extend my tabs back too usual size. I think if I can extend my tabs back to full length then I can recycle a ton of my aluminum plastic dividers that came with the modules and still have the option of active heating and cooling of my pack. Was thinking about just using some copper pipe from home depot that I got lying around. Already bought some cheap grommet setting tools.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
39sx4.0volts=156volts

I will be assembling the pack to 39s3p just to get my car on the road again. Will be calling Elcon soon to have my charger reprogrammed to charge my pack to the proper 156v charging setup that my zilla 1k LV can handle. This means I will need 117(39seriesx3parrallel) good cells. Think I got enough left. I used to have 128 good cells(8modulesx16cells). If I went with the Zeva V3 BMS modules ... 12s+12s+12s+3s(if it can handle)=39s. 4 Zeva V3 modules. $105 usd a bms module, buying 4x105=$420 plus the monitor $99 =519 plus the management system v3 519+ $132 = 651

Really considering saving up for the Orion system. would really like the additional wifi box that comes with this setup. Then I could monitor my cell voltages from my phone while I am away from my car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In order to make my new pack compatible with my new Tesla motor that just showed up on a pallet, I would need 100 cells in series(100sx4.0v) to reach 400 volts. This means the easiest way is going to be able to unplug 17 cells.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haa I don't have a choice. I live in the woods of maine and have to drive everywhere. it gets super cold here and I can't ride my mountain bike everywhere. Plus electric cars are a lot safer than Gasoline cars. I have already rolled my jeep twice and am lucky that thing hasn't caught on fire yet from oil leaking into the cylinders. I doubt an electric car would catch on fire upside down with a proper roll cage protecting my batteries. yeah I messed up. By putting my positive wire so close to the negative busbar. But I highly doubt I will ever make that mistake again. My future is electric! I know it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered some M3 stainless steel nuts and bolts from ebay. Coming from china so stand by friends. Should be here in like a half a year or sooner maybe. lol

I am just going to rebuild my batteries using this squashed copper piping method cut to fit and then bolt them together. Going to add a ton of weight but I just need to have the sense of security that nuts and bolts add to this mix. Plus If I need to remove any angry cells I will be able to take it all apart and unbolt them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9f68gN_s4&t=1040s

Also got a zeva bms on the way to make sure that if any of my cells are a lil bit damaged they will be reliably balanced. Also can buy more 12s slave modules in the future if I want to rearrange my pack to work with my 400v tesla Motor. Seamed like the best price for a reliable bms according to all that I have read on here. Can't wait!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered some M3 stainless steel nuts and bolts from ebay. Coming from china so stand by friends. Should be here in like a half a year or sooner maybe. lol

I am just going to rebuild my batteries using this squashed copper piping method cut to fit and then bolt them together. Going to add a ton of weight but I just need to have the sense of security that nuts and bolts add to this mix. Plus If I need to remove any angry cells I will be able to take it all apart and unbolt them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw9f68gN_s4&t=1040s

Also got a zeva bms on the way to make sure that if any of my cells are a lil bit damaged they will be reliably balanced. Also can buy more 12s slave modules in the future if I want to rearrange my pack to work with my 400v tesla Motor. Seamed like the best price for a reliable bms according to all that I have read on here. Can't wait!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
new tabs getting designed. hope I don't blow these cells up in my face. can you really short out these lipo wrappers? will the cells just not charge simply because I removed some of the wrapper liner? I am not really sure we'll see.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts