DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume the following:

Tesla model s module are 5.3 kw and 25 kg

If only one in my pack of second hand modules has a remaining capacity of 80 % then this module has 4.25 kw left and I am down to 170 wh / kg for my whole pack.

Best offer from a reputable source I could find (in stock, in quantities I would need for a conversion, I dismiss dogdy ,no return’ sales on ebay on single modules) were 1550$ or 365 $ per kwh.

https://lithiumpower.nl/product/tesla-model-s-module-52-kwhr-24-vdc/

Now there are these Lifepo4 @ 370$ per kwh with 165 wh / kg brandnew:

http://www.lithiumstorage.eu/images/Produkte/ETC-Series/ETC-LFP277AH.pdf

So. Considering the need for water cooling and the unknown real capacity of the tesla modules, why choose them?

Or am I beeing too pessimistic about second hand tesla modules?

Someone has an opinion / measured / experience on the real world capacity of second hand tesla modules?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
So. Considering the need for water cooling and the unknown real capacity of the tesla modules, why choose them?
cooling/heating with 'water' is a positive feature. It lets you extend the life of the cells, charge when the ambient is below zero centigrade, and extract the maximum performance from the battery.

Also remember that the Tesla modules are complete and ready to use (just bolt them in your vehicle) and they include a BMS designed to manage the Tesla cells not some third party best guess at what the battery requires.

Someone has an opinion / measured / experience on the real world capacity of second hand tesla modules?
You will struggle to find a battery with 20% degradation today... here's why;

Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cooling/heating with 'water' is a positive feature. It lets you extend the life of the cells, charge when the ambient is below zero centigrade, and extract the maximum performance from the battery.

Also remember that the Tesla modules are complete and ready to use (just bolt them in your vehicle) and they include a BMS designed to manage the Tesla cells not some third party best guess at what the battery requires.

You will struggle to find a battery with 20% degradation today... here's why;

Tesla battery degradation at less than 10% after over 160,000 miles, according to latest data

Thanks for sharing, this is reassuring

·
Administrator
6,118 Posts
$365 /Kwh - seems awful expensive

Volt packs are going for about $2000 - which is $125/kWh and that includes a lot of nice goodies

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$365 /Kwh - seems awful expensive

Volt packs are going for about $2000 - which is $125/kWh and that includes a lot of nice goodies

That makes more sense to me, pricewise, for a second hand battery.

But i think the shape of these modules is wrong for my purpose. I would like to mount the batteries under the floor of a vw t2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts