DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is used in trucks and trains but I thought it would be an interesting idea to explore for my tank build. I'm using the gs450H which you can get spinning at 40v but can go all the way up to 600v with a boost converter. My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs. It then goes to transfer box then to the open diff brake system. I only plan to get to 25-35MPH.
Any who, I think it would be cool to use a 1000cc motorcycle engine(already have one) and hook it up to some sort of generator and power the motor itself. The only thing is, I have no idea how to go about doing that. What generator would you use and such. Google doesn't seem to pull anything up then actual generators from like home depot and such. In a sense it would be a hybrid which would be really cool to tell people its a hybrid tank :D. Have the cool sounds of a motorcycle engine and 250kw of torque from the 2 electric motors.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Why would you make a series hybrid out of a transmission which is already - in its stock form - an advanced power-split hybrid system? Why not just connect the motorcycle engine to the L110 (from GS 450h) input? :unsure:

A series hybrid system will be less efficient, and more difficult to control, but of course you can do it. You're just duplicating the usual engine-driven generator set configuration, but with a ~300 V generator (the obvious source is any EV drive motor that is handy and for which you can get a controller). This is not normally sold as a ready-to-use package (because no one needs a 300 V DC generator set), but to use the motorcycle engine you're not looking for a complete set anyway. Typical "inverter" generator sets produce high-frequency high voltage DC from the generator, and rectify then invert that to produce 120 V or 240 V AC; the control system for both engine and inverter is one package specifically intended for these generator sets.

·
Registered
639 Posts
This doesn't make any sense at all.

Amps isn't "whatever it takes"...the motor cartridge in there is good for 300A...do you really need 90kW (about 120hp) of power? You need to figure out how much HP you need to run 25MPH and do your calcs from there, not "whatever".

Boost is also a very bad idea...it's lossy and the current input on the low voltage side is ampere hell.

Get the battery rightsized for the job or you'll be cooking thanksgiving turkey in your tank tracked oven.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
...the motor cartridge in there is good for 300A...do you really need 90kW (about 120hp) of power? You need to figure out how much HP you need to run 25MPH and do your calcs from there, not "whatever".
This is for a tracked vehicle.

Tracked vehicles need a lot more power than a wheeled vehicle at the same speed. Any vehicle on the types of surfaces where tracked vehicles are used needs a lot more power than the same vehicle on a road surface at the same speed.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I'm using the gs450H which you can get spinning at 40v but can go all the way up to 600v with a boost converter. My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs.
Boost is also a very bad idea...it's lossy and the current input on the low voltage side is ampere hell.
I don't think the intention is to use a boost converter; the reference to the boost converter is just to explain why the motors in the GS 450h's transmission are suited to 600 volts, even though the battery pack nominal voltage is only 288 volts.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs.
Amps isn't "whatever it takes"...the motor cartridge in there is good for 300A...do you really need 90kW (about 120hp) of power? You need to figure out how much HP you need to run 25MPH and do your calcs from there, not "whatever".
Get the battery rightsized for the job or you'll be cooking thanksgiving turkey in your tank tracked oven.
I'm sure that Rusted B&B meant that the plan is to operate the battery pack at about 300V, and whatever current is required to deliver the power needed for the vehicle... which has yet to be determined. The calculations are clearly not finished.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
221 Posts
I know this is used in trucks and trains but I thought it would be an interesting idea to explore for my tank build. I'm using the gs450H which you can get spinning at 40v but can go all the way up to 600v with a boost converter. My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs. It then goes to transfer box then to the open diff brake system. I only plan to get to 25-35MPH.
Any who, I think it would be cool to use a 1000cc motorcycle engine(already have one) and hook it up to some sort of generator and power the motor itself. The only thing is, I have no idea how to go about doing that. What generator would you use and such. Google doesn't seem to pull anything up then actual generators from like home depot and such. In a sense it would be a hybrid which would be really cool to tell people its a hybrid tank :D. Have the cool sounds of a motorcycle engine and 250kw of torque from the 2 electric motors.
To get you started find a permanent magnet motor to use as your generator. It should be in the kv range that matches the voltage and RPM that you want. I'm guessing a motorcycle engine you want at minimum 7000 RPM.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I will add that voltages on AC gensets are rated RMS not peak. So the 220 VAC is actually about 311 PTP.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure that Rusted B&B meant that the plan is to operate the battery pack at about 300V, and whatever current is required to deliver the power needed for the vehicle... which has yet to be determined. The calculations are clearly not finished.
This is correct - I didn't mean willy nilly about the amps - That will be calculated once the main frame is done and tracks, then weight added and I should have a good idea on what I need. I just wanted to throw the idea out there as instead of 1200lbs tesla battery vs motorcycle engine 150lb then a generator or some sort. I just like throwing unique idea out and see where they land. Whether flat or a good idea I still learn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To get you started find a permanent magnet motor to use as your generator. It should be in the kv range that matches the voltage and RPM that you want. I'm guessing a motorcycle engine you want at minimum 7000 RPM.
Finding a motor like that is kinda harder then I thought - SOOO many the come up but not what I need

1 - 10 of 10 Posts