DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Using an ICE to power a electric motor?

1280 9
I know this is used in trucks and trains but I thought it would be an interesting idea to explore for my tank build. I'm using the gs450H which you can get spinning at 40v but can go all the way up to 600v with a boost converter. My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs. It then goes to transfer box then to the open diff brake system. I only plan to get to 25-35MPH.
Any who, I think it would be cool to use a 1000cc motorcycle engine(already have one) and hook it up to some sort of generator and power the motor itself. The only thing is, I have no idea how to go about doing that. What generator would you use and such. Google doesn't seem to pull anything up then actual generators from like home depot and such. In a sense it would be a hybrid which would be really cool to tell people its a hybrid tank :D. Have the cool sounds of a motorcycle engine and 250kw of torque from the 2 electric motors.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
683 Posts
I know this is used in trucks and trains but I thought it would be an interesting idea to explore for my tank build. I'm using the gs450H which you can get spinning at 40v but can go all the way up to 600v with a boost converter. My plan is around 300v and what ever amps it needs. It then goes to transfer box then to the open diff brake system. I only plan to get to 25-35MPH.
Any who, I think it would be cool to use a 1000cc motorcycle engine(already have one) and hook it up to some sort of generator and power the motor itself. The only thing is, I have no idea how to go about doing that. What generator would you use and such. Google doesn't seem to pull anything up then actual generators from like home depot and such. In a sense it would be a hybrid which would be really cool to tell people its a hybrid tank :D. Have the cool sounds of a motorcycle engine and 250kw of torque from the 2 electric motors.
To get you started find a permanent magnet motor to use as your generator. It should be in the kv range that matches the voltage and RPM that you want. I'm guessing a motorcycle engine you want at minimum 7000 RPM.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.