DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just repaired my magnifying desk lamp that had a burned out circline bulb and a damaged driver board, using an old 60W CFL that I pulled out of the recycling bin. According to the schematics I found, they should work as well on DC as AC (probably minimum 80 VDC and best on 120-150 VDC).

Here is a site with schematics for these CFL drivers:
http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html

I made a video of my success repairing my desk lamp:

You can probably use these driver boards for other small fluorescent lamps, and maybe as interior lights or work lights for EVs. A 60W CFL was just right for my 12W T4 fluorescent bulb, so a 100W CFL should work on a 20W lamp.

There are also lots of possibly useful parts on the CFL PCBs, such as a diac and high voltage transistors, and the little transformer might work as a trigger or gate drive transformer, or a small DC-DC converter. The two lamps I had opened up quite easily and the parts are easy to remove.

I also found a very good place for fluorescent lamps and many other lamps. I ordered two of the circline bulbs for my lamp for about $5 each and $6 shipping and I got them in about two days:
www.replacementbulbs.com

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
According to the schematics I found, they should work as well on DC as AC (probably minimum 80 VDC and best on 120-150 VDC).
Um, even the ones with DIACs? I only know DIACs for triggering TRIACs (oops, my age is showing), but I think that these are a kind of phase controlled thing that might not work with DC. But maybe the DIACs don't operate at 60 Hz, rather at switching frequency.

BTW, the 80 V figure would be for North American and other 120 VAC sources; all of the circuits I perused (edit: I certainly didn't check them all) from your excellent link:

Here is a site with schematics for these CFL drivers:
http://www.pavouk.org/hw/lamp/en_index.html
are designed for 230 VAC.

Great stuff; thanks for sharing the link and your experience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts