DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Ya, should work ok. I'm don't know if the efficiency would be quite as good and you don't really need to run it all the time. You may need a bit larger reservoir at .6cfm. I suppose you could use an electric clutch and a high efficiency belt. It certainly is a lot cheaper...depending what you are comparing to. Being a vane pump, it's probably a lot quieter also. It's nice to see some people try different things. You'll probably get lots of nay-sayers, cause most of us did it a different way.... but, why not go for it.;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The biggest problem I see is at slow speeds if the motor is not turning (as you are braking) you are not going to be generating the vacuum needed for power assisted brakes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Im idling my motor with the soliton to run my power steering and keep my torque converter in my automanual turning. so this pump would work for me, think i will get it and try it.

i noticed it has a speed rating of about 3500 rpm, think it will handle 5000 rpm?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The biggest problem I see is at slow speeds if the motor is not turning (as you are braking) you are not going to be generating the vacuum needed for power assisted brakes.
That shouldn't be a problem... unless u spend a lot of time in a parking garage or something. Just use a large reservoir and a check valve. It will hold enough vacuum for the times when ur motor isn't turning. U must have this type of arrangement since there is often a high braking demand when moving slow in parking lots and such....and the motor wont be turning very fast or at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts