DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
So a PM 'sports' LDU might be on the horizon. Now that might be worth waiting for and hopefully Damien's Model 3 work can be transposed onto these new larger motors.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hmm.. It's possible. The induction motors are generally cheaper to manufacture and can handle higher heat levels - if a PM rotor gets too hot it will demagnetize and become useless. So they can be run harder without damage. Maybe Plaid includes something of the sort - possibly 3 M3 motors? That would be very cool.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
…The induction motors are generally cheaper to manufacture and can handle higher heat levels - if a PM rotor gets too hot it will demagnetize and become useless. So they can be run harder without damage…
I presume you mean it's the induction motors that can be run harder.

I would imagine any new large PM DUs would be much sought after and hence expensive, while perhaps the earlier induction ones might reduce in price a touch.

All of which means an early regular LDU might make the best option. Particularly if you could bump it up to 'sports' capability to be able to use the extra performance for quick bursts. Continuous high demand would probably be problematic if used like that, but surely for just short bursts might be Ok. Most bang for the buck is the ultimate goal of course. ;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Older technology might reduce in price. Then again it might become rare, since they are relatively easy to reuse and their performance is well known.
Induction motors are generally easier to control with a DIY board, PM gets problematic especially when tuning the first one.

Advances in the OEM world are always great for us DIYers, remember when a DC motor was the ultimate power? And cost 2k? I don't miss that at all. Now for that money we get a whole drivetrain with 300HP.

·
Registered
562 Posts
The LDU hovered at $10k for almost forever, then took a nosedive to $3k when the M3 started production.

Damned shame the battery modules from M3 are so darned unweildy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2. For the Model S/X LDU, the "sport" variant uses a different inverter.
Is there actually any confirmation on that? I haven't seen anyone with a sport and non-sport on the bench together to compare the inverter internals, just lots of conjecture. It seems that some people, such as wk057, found it to only be a firmware limit, at least as I understand his Tesla Motors Club posts. So those of us using Damien's replacement board will be unlimited.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is there actually any confirmation on that? I haven't seen anyone with a sport and non-sport on the bench together to compare the inverter internals, just lots of conjecture. It seems that some people, such as wk057, found it to only be a firmware limit, at least as I understand his Tesla Motors Club posts. So those of us using Damien's replacement board will be unlimited.
Yes, a very good question, to which I'd really like to know the answer.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts