DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would LOVE a dataset of every make/model of vehicle ever sold in the U.S., along with a number of 'properties', like curb weight and maybe some details about the transmission and engine.

Does anyone know of a list like this that exists anywhere?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would be an enormous list - growing every year. I very much doubt such a set exists - though that sort of data is fairly avaliable if you've a specific model in mind...

What would the purpose of having such a large dataset to trawl through be if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would the purpose of having such a large dataset to trawl through be if you don't mind me asking?
I don't mind. I'm starting my build after january 1st. In the meantime I'm selling my mercedes and took a few minutes to build some simple scripts to alert me when certain makes/models become available on craigslist (I have been thinking of expanding it to the facebook api since there seem to be a lot more vehicles at a cheaper price there).

In any case, I have a csv list of about 15 cars that I think would be perfect for a build, and I find a couple more every day. Doing my typical steps of copy-paste the make/model/year into google > add "curb weight" > hit enter > copy weight and paste into google sheets > go back to google remove "curb weight" > add "torque" > copy/paste a short summary into sheets > see if i can find anything about "engine weight" but often it isn't available, etc., etc., etc., gets old.

I'm an automation clown and if I can spend 10 minutes coding something that will save me any amount of time greater than 10 minutes, I typically do it... it's pretty much how I've reduced my work day to 2 hours per day. :)

I did find a site that has a lot of the info I'm looking for, but it only goes back to 1990 --- carfolio.com is the latest in that list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts