DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone connected their EV to their home grid (say if you have a solar array with inverter already)?

Interested to know if this is a pipedream or something that just hasn't hit the mainstream due to market forces.

We have 2 EVs at home that sit in the driveway when we're drawing power in the evenings after the sun goes down---argh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Perhaps the best solution on the horizon is widely available battery systems that will be available for mainstream inverter manufacturers (SMA, enphase) and also the Sonnen Batterie / Outback Radian.

The power wall is a long ways off, but LG is coming out with a system. Most of the best options are AC coupled inverter/battery systems that are plug and play, I think this will be a doable option before we see widespread vehicle to grid.

When I search its all conceptual stuff, I don't think anyone is selling off the shelf units ready to go unlike residential plug and play battery systems.

Its unfortunate but purchasing another pack might be the only option for a little while.

Edit - if one of those EVs is a conversion I could probably recommend a couple of ways you could hack it to push power onto a breaker using a second inverter. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
See my post in this section, I put external connection directly on my Nissan Leaf for a new system but also to power directly an inverter making 220Vac. Pure sine wave control pcb are available in Asia, only to add power Igbt and you can do 10KW inverter for your home.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts