DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an eZip Trailz 2009 HEB with somewhere between 800 and 1100 miles on it. Recently, I can feel vibrations in the pedals and clicking noises coming from the front crankset that were never there before. I have not done anything out of the ordinary or put the crankset through a whole lot of stress. The manual suggests using lithium grease in the crankset, but I want to explore what other people say before I do that. Could this be caused by something else? The bike is well taken care of.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Check that the crank bolts are tight ... also check that the Bottom bracket bearings are ok. A broken one can lead to both vibration and clicking.

Can you move the cranks side to side at all? do they spin smoothly?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David, I'm not sure what you are talking about. HEB stands for hybrid electric bicycle, like a pedal bicycle. It doesn't have an ICE

I have checked the crank bolts, they're tight. I would suspect a broken bearing, because if I don't put pressure on the pedals, but just pedal with the back wheel off the ground, the vibration and clicking are gone. They don't move side-to-side at all. I kept checking the derailleur because it felt exactly like the gears weren't' lined up correctly, but they are. Could crushed limestone do this because it started after I rode it on a bike trail?

·
Registered
144 Posts
David, I'm not sure what you are talking about. HEB stands for hybrid electric bicycle, like a pedal bicycle. It doesn't have an ICE

I have checked the crank bolts, they're tight. I would suspect a broken bearing, because if I don't put pressure on the pedals, but just pedal with the back wheel off the ground, the vibration and clicking are gone. They don't move side-to-side at all. I kept checking the derailleur because it felt exactly like the gears weren't' lined up correctly, but they are. Could crushed limestone do this because it started after I rode it on a bike trail?
I would take your bike to your LBS (Local Bike Shop). One that is recommended by others as having a good mechanic. I've been in the cycling world for over 15 years now (I was a professional for three of those) and to diagnose a "click and vibration" over the internet is quite hard. Make friends with a good mechanic at an LBS as they will be invaluable. Also remember an 8 dollar 6-pack of beer can pay for it self several times over. At 1000 miles it's due for a good once over to check everything is as it should be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts