DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Vibration Isolation for Battery Box EV Conversion

851 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  kennybobby
I am currently building two steel battery boxes that will house 2 modules from a Tesla Model 3 (2 per battery box stacked, supported from the side as intended). This will be going in a 4x4 and may see some off-road use but likely minimal, just typical road conditions. It will be mounted to keep a low CG to the frame so it will be on the sprung side. To me it still seems like you would want to put some sort of vibration isolation but I don't believe Teslas have any. Does anyone have any recommendations here?
1 - 1 of 11 Posts
I am currently building two steel battery boxes that will house 2 modules from a Tesla Model 3 (2 per battery box stacked, supported from the side as intended). This will be going in a 4x4 and may see some off-road use but likely minimal, just typical road conditions. It will be mounted to keep a low CG to the frame so it will be on the sprung side. To me it still seems like you would want to put some sort of vibration isolation but I don't believe Teslas have any. Does anyone have any recommendations here?
If you're looking to add vibration isolation to your battery boxes for a Tesla Model 3, you have a few options to consider.
  1. Mounting Material: You can use a rubber or foam mounting material between the battery box and the frame to absorb any vibrations from road conditions.
  2. Stiffening the Box: If you make the box stiffer, it will reduce the amount of vibration that gets transferred to the batteries. You can consider adding reinforcement to the walls or using a thicker gauge of steel.
  3. Vibration Dampers: You can also add vibration dampers directly to the battery modules to help isolate them from road vibrations. There are many commercial products available that can be used for this purpose.
It's also important to keep in mind that while Tesla doesn't include vibration isolation in their vehicles, they do design and test their battery modules to withstand normal road conditions, so the risk of damage from vibration is likely low. However, if you're concerned, these steps should help you add some extra protection.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 11 Posts