DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, folks. I have a 500w Vicor module that I intend to use in my conversion. I trimmed it up to 13.3 volts to maintain my SLA battery. Is there any reason I couldn't leave it connected permanently to both the auxiliary battery and the traction pack?

In a similar vein, is there any reason why I couldn't just skip the SLA entirely and just leave the Vicor module connected to the traction pack to replace the battery? Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I did that with one 250W Vicor (I have 3 other 250W vicors that come up when the ignition key is on) and it has worked fine. I don't recall the specifics, but the parasitic drain is minimal. Those are nice modules.

Of course if I'm going to let the car sit for an extended period the pack is completely disconnected.

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
In a similar vein, is there any reason why I couldn't just skip the SLA entirely and just leave the Vicor module connected to the traction pack to replace the battery? Thanks!
Hi jb,

I recommend that you retain the 12V aux battery in about the same capacity (Ah) as ones used in ICE cars. I consider it a safety issue. Should you experience a power system failure as would blow the main pack fuse or otherwise lose all high voltage, you and passengers could well be stranded, in traffic, at night, put in a hazardous position. You, and those around you, will greatly appreciate the use of car lights and other aux systems. Keep the 12V battery.

Regards,

major

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Major, that is a fair point. I will get a full size battery, then.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts