DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have just joined this group in the hope of getting some expert guidance, I am converting a Ford model T 1911, and whilst of the work is now completed, I am adding an electric brake, no regen, just resistance, I couldn't find any rheostats man enough to do the job and so looking to build my own, wondered if anyone has already achieved this, my motor is a 7kw brushed at 48 volts DC, the whole project is one of simplicity ie repairable at roadside unlike my Nissan Leaf which is marvelous View attachment 120703

·
Registered
536 Posts
Some controllers offer "plug" braking which I think may be used in forklifts to slow down. I have no real clue other than the fact that it's sometimes mentioned in literature. BTW, what are your performance goals for this vehicle?

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Regenerative and dynamic braking are not feasible with a series DC motor.

Some controllers offer "plug" braking which I think may be used in forklifts to slow down.
That would be all you could do with a series DC motor, but in its basic form it is a severe and uncontrolled braking method. The version implemented in a controller is better, but this should still not be the primary braking method for the vehicle.

An old but still valid discussion from the EVDL list, copied here in DIYElectricCar:
[EVDL] What is plug braking vs. dynamic braking?

There are lots of online descriptions, once you know to search for "plug braking".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts