DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I'm sorry to piss on your bbq, but I just watched an ev conversion of a karman ghia with a hyper 9 motor with 16 battery modules built for the vehicle, I didn't catch the capacity but 8 in the front weighed 180kg, maybe someone can hazard a guess either 24kWh or 40kWh. Adaptor plate made to couple to the original gearbox, some brake and suspension upgrades and cost £30k. So here we have a basically ugly car in a nasty colour with original basic interior and very little comfort. No mention of power assisted brakes or steering with lots more weight in the front. I'm sorry but a new 40kWh Nissan Leaf with all manner of technology albeit the entry level model 90mph is £27k, it's a no brainer. Obviously self build is the only way this makes any sense. This was converted by a garage and took 6 months.
Just to add 0-60 in 10 seconds is hardly quick.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
Vintage Voltage is a TV series. I suspect that the purpose of the conversions is as much to make the show as to build cars; much of the stuff shown in "reality" shows makes no sense except as a show.

At a glance, nothing in the list of vehicles converted in season 1 is likely to make objective sense as a vehicle, but all would be appealing to enthusiasts interested in those particular models or styles of classic vehicles.

·
Registered
383 Posts
In one paragraph, you've dismissed the entire community of classic car enthusiasts. Comparing the gorgeous Karmann Ghia to a Nissan Leaf based on specs and cost is...somewhat missing the point.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts