DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to this forum, read some of it and wanted to join in.

Planning to build a old style Volkswagen bug on a Volkswagen UP-E plattform, using floor and sills from the UP, but using a wider bug body on top.
All Electrics, battery, engine/gear and controls from the UP-E, but moving the engine/gir to the rear or possibly having it 4 Wheel drive With UP-E engine/gear both front and rear if this is even possible.

Collecting parts for now and dreaming/planning ahead.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Seems like a logistics nightmare and an expensive conversion. Why not just find a nice old VW Bug and convert that using the AC-50 from HPEVS and Controller and put in enough batteries for a decent distance. Less cost. Still have a nice little Bug and be AC with all that AC has to offer. If you need air conditioning then purchase the AC-50 motor with an Aux shaft and install an aftermarket VW Air-conditioning setup. Heater using the stock heater channels will still be possible so you can have the benefits of more modern comfort. Air bags are out after a conversion anyway so no issue there. I think the UP-E is a front wheel drive affair anyway so not sure how that will work out for you.

But if you are fully insistent upon using that platform to cut up and then put on an old Beetle Body then I say excellent and can't wait to see the results.

Pete :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for input.
I live in Norway, and a wrecked UP-E is cheap.... a Electric motor, controls, battery pack and other parts would be more expensive here. Moving the drive from front to rear (if i dont opt for a double setup) would fit a VW or Porsche IRS setup with minor changes.
With a UP-E donor, all is there, "just" need to make it fit and work.
As this is a project to be started in a year or so, i am trying to collect info and plan what i need, and how it fits together...New to EV, so it will take some time to deside what to do.
Have been doing VW bugs for 30 years, so i think it is time to take a step forvard, EV :)

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Well there you go. I forgot to even factor in maybe you would be using a wrecked vehicle with a good underbody. Sounds like a good possible match. Make a post in the All EV Conversions and Builds thread section so we can all watch your progress and answer your questions as they come up. Pictures and videos are always welcome. I usually post a video to youtube then just link that to a post here. Pictures can be uploaded via your computer into each posting if you have pics to post.

We look forward to your build.
Pete :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well the e-up wheelbase is within 7mm of the classic beetle, so that's a good start. You're going to have a heck of a lot of sheet metal hacking to do though, but hell, go for it if that's what you want.

Do make it a late model though, early beetles are far too rare to subject to such abuse, '68 on please :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 1951 body, or part of it, and nobody wanted to take it on ( wonder why), and have spares to make it komplete, at least to make it look like a 1951. Know they are skarse now, but think it would be OK to use this one. I know it is a lot of bodywork, but that is the fun part.

Seems the picture ended upside down, but you all get an idea of how bad it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
650 Posts
lol! If I'd not seen the picture I'd have died when you said you were going to use a 51 body, but having seen it, yeah, it's pretty much beyond being used as a donor for a 51 resto. :eek:

I hope you have some serious body work skills for that one, 'cause you're going to need 'em.

This is my own '55, I think it's had a slightly easier life than your '51! ;)

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87522&stc=1&d=1509664066

I'll look forward to following your progress.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Custom bodywork takes time, but is rewarding.
Working on a bug made into a stepside pickup now, and when that is done, it is time to turn my attention to the UP-E bug conversion.
Will start a build thread on this forum and post pictures and progress, and of course a lot of questions !

Picture turned opside down again, will have to figure out why.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Custom bodywork takes time, but is rewarding.
Working on a bug made into a stepside pickup now, and when that is done, it is time to turn my attention to the UP-E bug conversion.
Will start a build thread on this forum and post pictures and progress, and of course a lot of questions !

Picture turned opside down again, will have to figure out why.
Here are the Pics in correct orientation.

Man that Bug is pretty mashed up but that split window is something to save for sure. Nice work on the custom Bug Truck. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
It makes sense to me for the vehicle to be rear-wheel-drive, but by the time you've cut away all of the top of the Up and moved the powertrain, there won't be any Up structure left. On the Bug side, with none of the floor, backbone frame, chassis, or powertrain left, you have just the upper shell... and all of those Bug body parts need serious work.

Perhaps it would make more sense to build a steel tube frame, mount the Up chassis and electric power train parts on it, and hang replacement Bug panels on top. Even then, how do the axle shafts connect to the non-driven rear hubs of the Up? It sounds like you would need the rear suspension of an AWD VW using the same platform, or a second Up front suspension to use at the rear.

It would be nice if you could leave the e-Up battery pack intact, but the e-Up motor is ahead of the driven axle, so if you move the motor to the rear there might be interference between the pack and the motor, depending on structural and suspension details.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for input....
Planning to use the floor and battery Mounts/battery intact as UP-E, moving the engine to the rear into a VW or Porsche IRS suspension pack would fit if my meseurements are correct.
Considering the tube frame together With the UP-E floorpan, but then the sills have to go.
In the back there is enough room for engine and radiators/etc if i turn the luggage compartment upside down behind the back seat.
Know there is a lot of bodywork....but find it revarding even if it is time consuming.
I am still looking into the possibility of running 2xUP-E engine/gearbox on one battery pack, one in front and one in the rear. Would be double fun. I am not concerned with distance, would rather have the Power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts