DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these things are temperature controlled via liquid (presumably an anti-freeze solution). Are the cells encased by coolant "plates" or is heat conducted away towards the ends via a piece of aluminum or other metal, where liquid flows?

TIA

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Are the cells encased by coolant "plates" or is heat conducted away towards the ends via a piece of aluminum or other metal, where liquid flows?
There are cooling plates stacked with the cells (two cells, one plate, and repeat). The plates have coolant passages in them which connect to the manifolds formed by the aligned holes in the plastic frames which hold the cells, so flow through all of the plates in a module is in parallel.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the coolant passages in close contact with the cells themselves, or is this just at the end of the plates? :confused:

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
Are the coolant passages in close contact with the cells themselves, or is this just at the end of the plates? :confused:
The whole face of the cell is against the cooling plate (which is often called a "fin"). It's like a stack of sandwiches, with each sandwich having cells for the bread slices and a cooling plate for the filling. Instead of bread crust, these sandwiches have plastic frames. This means that each cell (bread slice) has a cooling plate (filling) against one face and another cell (of the next sandwich) on the other face.

This image shows one plate (fin), with a Volt pack in the background. Note the holes on the lower corners: when the plates and plastic frames are stacked together, those are the inlet and outlet manifolds.

This image shows a stack of the plastic frames, with sample frames in front - an empty one on the left, a special one for the end of the stack to make plumbing connections shown in the middle, and a regular frame with a cell in it on the right.

·
Administrator
6,161 Posts
Great description. Thank you.
Can the cooling system be used?
Yes - it's quite easy to reformat the cooling system

The Volt cooling system is "overkill" - it's replacement the Bolt uses a much simpler system

I'm using my Volt battery modules as a heat sink for my controller! - here (Southland) battery warming is more likely to be needed than cooling

1 - 8 of 8 Posts