DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I salvaged a 47 ft. steel sailboat last summer . It was over1/2 sunk and on the beach,2 weeks later floating . The 100 hp engine is very rusted so I though my Mercedes 6 cylinder diesel would a good replacement.
Wanting to have electric power ,I though of the Buick belt driven alternator that will make 20 hp, water cooled and 120 volts .
The volt/ampera transmission are dropping in price to $1k and has the greatest flexibility .
So I need to get a pattern of the bell housing for volt transmission.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
So I need to get a pattern of the bell housing for volt transmission.
The Volt transaxles are
  • first generation Voltec Transaxle: 4ET50
  • second generation Voltec 2 Transaxle: 5ET50 (GM code MKV)
You could try searching using those names for bell housing pattern information, but since almost no one uses these transaxles for anything else, it might be hard to find. If you're lucky, it's the same as other transaxles using the same engine...
  • first generation: EcoFlex 1.4 (GM code LUU)
  • second generation: SGE 1.5 (GM code L3A)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, the 1.4 flex engine will be at the junk yards .
I could use a gear box 1/2 case and bell housing (benz) and tig up a adaptor. Or find a thick billet of alum from scratch.
The stroke is very close 82.6 for the flex and 84 for the benz . Thinking of the crankcase size needed for the stroke.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
The stroke is very close 82.6 for the flex and 84 for the benz . Thinking of the crankcase size needed for the stroke.
I get the logic, but I think that bellhousing size is driven more by accommodating the required flywheel and clutch (or torque converter) to handle the engine output than by the crankcase. Structurally, the significant part of the bellhousing is normally mostly above the crank centreline, so it looks more like the block width than the crankcase size.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the width was going to interfere with the cv joint. But it looks like its on the same plain as the cv hole face. And if it covers it a little ,no problem, i will be welding the spider gear and only use the left drive shaft.
Now the height of of the bell could interfere with the controller or something else .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts