DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working with some Leaf battery modules. As I'm assembling battery packs, I'm trying to adjust their voltage so they will work with common Curtis and Alltrax controllers. Does any one know or, better yet, have experience pushing the upper voltage limit of these? Example: 8 Leaf modules in series have a working voltage of ~60V (~3.7 X 16 - each module is 2S). Is this too high for 48V rated Curtis or Alltrax controllers. Does the handheld Curtis programmer(Model 1313-4331, for example) go this high?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Curtis lists "undervoltage" and ”overvoltage" in the product datasheets on their website. For example, I checked one sheet and for a 48 volt nominal battery voltage it listed 60 V for overvoltage.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been looking into using these Leaf modules (on motorcycles & go karts) too.
Keep in mind that 8 of these modules, fully charged (to ~4.15V for safety) top out @ ~64.4V.

So, 8 modules seems to be an almost perfect for most 60V systems. (5-12V SLA's x 13.3V ea. = 66.5V)

Using 7 modules (~58.1V safely/fully charged) seems to be a better match for a 48V system.
...& they'll still give a higher initial voltage than a set of 4 (48V) SLA's. (~58V as opposed to ~54V)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was thinkin', even "if" the controllers could be adjusted to accept a higher voltage (~65V)
...a 48V solenoid/contactor &/or DC to DC converter, probably can not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts