DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally got around to taking pics of my newest conversion, my 1961 VW Bug. I restored the car 15 years ago and had put 19,000 miles on it as a gasser. After converting 5 different vehicles with high school students at Topsail High, I decided to have my Bug converted to full electric. The conversion was secretly completed ahead of schedule by my students in time for my 50th birthday. They surprised me by driving it to my house on my birthday! What a great present.
As for the details, Advanced DC 9", Synkromotive controller, 44 Thundersky 100aH cells, Elithion Lite BMS, Elcon PFC 1500 charger, and an Iota 45 amp DC/DC. I went clutchless to the VW tranny. Instrumentation will be provided by a Nexus 7 using the Elithion BMS Wifi unit and the Ulysse Speedometer app.
I have driven this car over 1200 miles since May 4th, more than I had driven in the past 3 years! A big thanks to the THSEV students under the leadership of Stephen Jeffcoat, my capable replacement since I have moved to a position at a local community college.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics of the dash display added. I have installed the Elithion WIFI unit which displays pack info on any browser screen. I also am running the Ulysse Speedometer App for speed, average speed and trip meters. The cool thing is the overlay feature that will disply the speed on top of the browser window.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Amazing car. The restoration looks great, and the electric conversion is well done. I like the louvers and diamond plate in the engine compartment, the charge port location, and that the cells are visible in the rear window. The wheels are sweet, too.

I have a Elithion Lithiumate Lite BMS with WiFi transmitter that I'm getting ready to install. Did you have any issues or tips for dealing with noise? I've read the manual and their article on how to avoid problems with noise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts