DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright geniuses, time to line up. I've got to choose regular post mount connections vs. the 3/8" screw down mount for my 120v trojan T125 battery pack............ suggestions?......... bring it:D

G

·
0 Posts
I've got to choose........
Well I think you just answered your own question. You need to choose. If we choose for you and something happens you blame others. If you choose and it fails you blame yourself. That is how it should be. But we can give choices. I think if you do your homework you will find the answer. Remember the answer might not be on this forum. Have you looked at EVDL for information?

Pete :)

G

·
0 Posts
Might be best to just forgo the lead and get lithium. I think you might be a much happier camper.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no really guys no blame! I'm just looking for experience, guidance, and anecdotes to help my guide my choice..... all input is welcome.... thanks again.

G

·
0 Posts
Come on, there is years of information on the best battery posts to use. Do your homework. What have you found so far? I use batteries with standard posts with a nice SS post through the center. It is one of the most common and asked questions.

Shown is my setup. So far it's working just fine.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
And now I will disagree with gottdi... (come on -- it has to be done):)

When using golf cart batteries I use the automotive post part of the post. Lead "creeps" under load. I fear the bolt will work loose and then the cable end won't be held tight against the top of the terminal. The surrounding nature of the automotive posts eliminates most of the directions for creep and actually tries to compress the lead.

But perhaps gottdi doesn't have the right foot problem I do! :D

G

·
0 Posts
I usually drive conservative but do from time to time have the lead foot syndrome. I know it would be best to use the automotive post style ends. That I have no doubt. But I know this setup is quite common and it has never given me trouble. Would I do it this way again with a brand new setup with lead acid? No. I will however continue with this in my buggy until these just crap out. Some of my batteries are now dated Fed 08. I don't expect much more out of them but they are still doing fine for now. Posts are strong as ever. No noticeable lead creep either. Cables are always cool.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
For some of my testing I used the screw terminals. I had several melting events, wing nuts welded on, and a vaporized cable end. This was with checking tightness before each test! Admittedly I was drawing much higher than golf car levels of current and my test cables weren't the thickest. With the automotive style posts and 4/0 I have had zero problems, even when they needed some tightening. They are cool or barely warm even when run hard.

I like the logarithmic tightening scheme Roland Wiench does. He retightens after 0.5 miles, 5 miles, 50 miles, and then every 500 miles (or something like that).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts