DIY Electric Car Forums banner

VW 1 Liter replica?

4280 10
I am curious, in looking for the most aerodynamic "potentially practical" body design for my next trike, I am becoming enamored by the 1 liter, largely because body design scares me and is beyond my abilities, and with 100km (67mi) for a liter of fuel, its super impressive as an ICE.

So here is what I am wondering:

If there were a 1 liter replica out there as a kit that you would install your own drive system into and paint but was otherwise complete, A) would there be a market for 3 to 5 a month? and B) What would people pay for the "roller"?

Also, do you guys think its more important to make it look like the 1 liter for "replica value" or more unique? for example headlight placement etc?

I understand that it would go from a 4 wheeler to a trike, but no body changes would be absolutely nessassary to accomplish this, save possibly going 4 or 5" eider in the nose and a few inches narrower in the tail.

One more thing, any other 'concept cars" with ridiculusly good aero come to mind to replicate?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Its a lot of working making something from scratch, I was inspired like you to make my own vw 1 liter type vehicle about 18 months ago, it was based off a three wheeled design (two in front) and a carbon fiber/glass fiber molded body.
I blended the vw 1 liter design with a little art deco to give a more pleasing look; I did a plaster hand model and then started designing a body in CAD.
If I can find my work and take some screen shots I'll post them in this thread.

I stopped working on it due to the realization of how much work it is building molds and making molded parts, its very labor intensive and is only worth it if you make lots of parts from the molds.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.