DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW have anounced a program of 300 new EV models to roll out over the coming years , starting with 2 models in 2020, and plan to be selling 3 million by 2025
Initially a 225kW, large SUV with a 500km range.
....by 2030 .there will be an electrified version of all 300 VW Group models sold around the world. By 2025 we will sell three million units [of EVs] annually.....
......Then we have the next generation which is the solid-state battery with 1000km ranges.....
http://www.caradvice.com.au/582870/volkswagen-i-d-crozz-full-electric-crossover-suv-on-sale-in-2020/

·
Registered
649 Posts
I hope they do, but presently (in the UK at least) their dealers couldn't be more dis-interested. I enquired about a test drive in the new model e-golf with my local "e" dealership only to be bluntly told they won't even have a car until next February!

On top of this, they didn't seem interested in even taking my details to get back to me when they do finally get one and frankly were quite rude in general. :(

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well, they have to something since they so massively messed up their diesel program... :D

It has become routine for manufacturers to announce that all of their models will be electrified by some arbitrary future year. The VW version from the article:
“By 2030 there will be an electrified version of all 300 VW Group models sold around the world..."
This is just as routinely misinterpreted as meaning "pure EVs" (battery-electric), although it normally means only that there will some degree of hybrid configuration.

The VW station wagon (or "SUV") in the article is pure battery-electric. As the article explains, it is a concept demonstrating the MEB platform, which will be one of several platforms, and possibly the only battery-electric one for a long time. It is a perfectly sensible layout - and the same as everyone else's electric platforms - except for the silliness of a completely flat battery top, passing up the opportunity to fit in more pack capacity by being taller under at least the rear seats.

VW has published a decent article on the platform: What is the Modular Electrification Toolkit

VW is quite capable technically, and has the financial resources (even after Dieselgate) to do this properly, so it will likely be a good product. With any luck, they'll build something more desirable than yet another overly tall and not-very-functional "SUV/CUV". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I hope they do, but presently (in the UK at least) their dealers couldn't be more dis-interested. I enquired about a test drive in the new model e-golf with my local "e" dealership only to be bluntly told they won't even have a car until next February!

On top of this, they didn't seem interested in even taking my details to get back to me when they do finally get one and frankly were quite rude in general. :(
I'm not surprised. Most of these vehicles are only produced to satisfy regulatory requirements and "greenwash" the company lineup. Since they lose money on every one built, the manufacturer is not motivated to make any more available than necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are unprofitable for the dealer, too. In theory Ford makes a battery-electric Focus and some hybrid models... but I've never seen any of them at the dealership. Even Nissan - the company with local dealerships which has sold the most EVs in this province - never has a Leaf in the showroom. Although this wouldn't apply to an "e dealership", I wouldn't be surprised if training staff is an irritation for many of these dealerships, as well.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The attitude of my local VW dealership, and the lack of professionalisism... (im being nice there !)..from their Service dept, Is the reason i will never own a VW vehicle ever again....even that classic KG Beetle Cabrio that i have yearned for most of my life !
..Its a shame, i have owned several VWs, as they make some great vehicles, but NEVER again for me.
Maybe their dealerships are all staffed, or trained, by decendents of the SS ?

And on the subject of the "300 models" electrified...
As you said Brian, many would likely just be hybrids, and most even the "12 or 48 volt Mild Hybrid" Altermotor, that Audi were hailing recently..
http://www.greencarcongress.com/2017/06/20170602-audi.html
Im not sure A 48 v 10ah battery and 10 kW motor, even qualifies it as a hybrid of any significance !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts