DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Any thoughts on eV platforms to be used in the near future for conversions? Based on initial research, there is a lot of benefits and pricing seems to be less of an issue than say 2 years ago.
I’ve a 65 mustang which is in bad shape drivetrain wise and would be a great candidate for this but lack the expertise to do a full DIY build.
How plausible is it to rely on this tech for a swap with upgrades to suspension, breaks, etc. granted fabrication will require significant work, but a contained platform seems to be an attractive approach.
Curious to learn what you guys think of this approach and even it’s a possible option.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
None of your "contained platform" will work as a bolt-in. Everything needs adaptation and repackaging. Suggest you look at the conversions on this forum where people take "contained platforms" as donor cars into a classic.

The car is worth a lot of money restored to factory equipment, and Ford ICE crate motors and transmissions are easily 1/3 the cost of an EV conversion, 1/10th-1/30th if you have a shop do the EV conversion.

Live with the high gas prices or buy an EV. The Mustang should be restored and if you don't have interest in developing the skills, hope the restoration is a breakeven with the car's value. It likely won't be worth much if it's hacked into an EV and to have a shop do it means over a hundred grand and a two year backlog just to get started.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if I hit a nerve there Remy, but frankly whether or not a car should or not be converted to EV is really up to the owner. I agree that there are many factors to consider, biggest being cost and originality of the car, but why should that be a binary rule that classics can’t be converted to EV not for their future residual value of classic status being an original car (which it isn’t). I really see the benefits of eV in the future and as soon as I can afford to will buy an EV family car, counting Down the days, believe me. But I’m also inspired by a lot of build on this and other forums/you tube videos and want to be part of it. I’m also not planning on departing with the car (ever) if I can help it.
I never said I didn’t want to learn how to do it, just lack the immediate knowledge and experience. frankly with my work life balance being out of whack currently, as much as I want to learn it all, time doesn’t allow it. Hence the post to understand whether there’s more potential in the platforms/skateboards vs specific kits, and this is what I wanted to focus conversation on rather than your opinion of whether this classic car should be restored as ICE vs EV.
In fact there’s literally another recent post on here about a guy converting his 66 mustang to eV having done one before, so I wouldn’t say I’m the only one with the idea either.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
The only current EVs which have a separate body and frame are the pickup trucks; for any other vehicle, using the whole "platform" means using all of the components in a different (and likely custom structure)... and of course that works. Using a complete set of related components means that everything is likely to work together, but can be a huge amount of work compared to just replacing an engine, transmission, and fuel tank with a motor, (perhaps different) transmission, and battery.

The F-100 pickup project which Ford paid other companies to build is a good example of this, using all of the working components of a Mach-E, in a completely custom frame and with stock F-100 pickup cab and box mounted on top. It's more difficult to do with with a typical car, because the car body isn't designed to work with a bulky frame surrounding a huge battery pack.

Once the "entire platform" approach is chosen, which platform is used probably doesn't make a lot of difference, because they are all so similar. I wouldn't recognize which one is in the image shown without the VW logo on the nose.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Not sure if I hit a nerve there Remy, but frankly whether or not a car should or not be converted to EV is really up to the owner. I agree that there are many factors to consider, biggest being cost and originality of the car, but why should that be a binary rule that classics can’t be converted to EV not for their future residual value of classic status being an original car (which it isn’t). I really see the benefits of eV in the future and as soon as I can afford to will buy an EV family car, counting Down the days, believe me. But I’m also inspired by a lot of build on this and other forums/you tube videos and want to be part of it. I’m also not planning on departing with the car (ever) if I can help it.
I never said I didn’t want to learn how to do it, just lack the immediate knowledge and experience. frankly with my work life balance being out of whack currently, as much as I want to learn it all, time doesn’t allow it. Hence the post to understand whether there’s more potential in the platforms/skateboards vs specific kits, and this is what I wanted to focus conversation on rather than your opinion of whether this classic car should be restored as ICE vs EV.
In fact there’s literally another recent post on here about a guy converting his 66 mustang to eV having done one before, so I wouldn’t say I’m the only one with the idea either.
Hit a nerve, lol. Engineers are numb.

Of course it's up to the owner. I merely did the math for you and you got defensive. Most people waltz in here, with gas busting $5/gallon, wanting to convert their beater for $4000, using lead acid batteries. So the first step is to set them straight on the economics and ground them in reality that it's not a snap of fingers with a "platform", "crate", or "kit".

Turn a classic into an EV irreversibly and the opportunity cost is lost forever - a hidden cost of the conversion.

Platform makes no difference. Ideas mean nothing because there is no generic solution that works. You are custom building a car, keeping its shell. The "platform" was not built for your car. It's just a source of parts.

meh.

And the platform that is built for your car is $500,000:

It all boils down to money and time. Ideas are a dime a dozen - carrying them through to an engineered solution takes money, work, acquired skills, and a lot of risk. Which is why it's a good idea to buy an EV vs build one or trash a classic if you only have ideas and block diagrams on PowerPoint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts