DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm a fairly long term air-cooled Volkswagen nerd.
I am building a 62 bus and keep coming back to the idea of building an EV VW!

I recently discovered some cheep EV kits from China on Alibaba and thought that might be the way to go if I could get some solid info on them.

VW engines are still cheep to work on and an EV conversion has to be cheep to make sense. I'm pretty green when it comes to this type of stuff but love a challenge.

Any info/input etc. would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Hey. I'm a fairly long term air-cooled Volkswagen nerd.
I am building a 62 bus and keep coming back to the idea of building an EV VW!

I recently discovered some cheep EV kits from China on Alibaba and thought that might be the way to go if I could get some solid info on them.

VW engines are still cheep to work on and an EV conversion has to be cheep to make sense. I'm pretty green when it comes to this type of stuff but love a challenge.

Any info/input etc. would be appreciated.
If your choices for an EV kit are those on Alibaba keep your VW gas engine and fine tune that and you will not be limited to your driving unless you run out of gas. Im an old VW guy too and converting is not cheap. Good quality VW engines that will last a long time are not very cheap either.

I'd only do AC drive systems anymore unless you are on a super budget. If you do go with a DC system be sure your brakes are in top notch condition. You will need them to remain in top notch systems because you don't get the benefit of engine or motor braking. You will be coasting and when stop so you must have the best. Like disk brakes on all fours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are they really that bad? Has anyone tried one? I find the complete rear axle one the most appealing. I'm sure you could slide the whole thing under a beetle no problem. I'd be really tempted to buy one and maybe upgrade some other parts later.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Put a Subaru engine in that bus and call it good! No way can reasonable quality EV conversion cost less than a simple VW engine rebuild....Even the Subaru conversion might be less with great performance.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Are they really that bad? Has anyone tried one? I find the complete rear axle one the most appealing. I'm sure you could slide the whole thing under a beetle no problem. I'd be really tempted to buy one and maybe upgrade some other parts later.
Can't put a Bus Transmission in a Bug unless you reverse the ring and pinion gear.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Put a Subaru engine in that bus and call it good! No way can reasonable quality EV conversion cost less than a simple VW engine rebuild....Even the Subaru conversion might be less with great performance.
EV Conversions are about what you want. Also the cost is not just about what you use but how much it costs in upkeep and costs in feeding the beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts