DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
How many modules did you get?
4 modules, i.e. the full "short range" pack which is 56-ish kWh.

They measure 1370mm x 340mm x 80mm, 59kg (for one module) with connectors so will fit very nicely onto the cargo space floor.

Drawing Machine Illustration Kitchen appliance accessory Parallel

Also got most of the contactors, fuses, coolant lines, etc. for the pack. As well as Tesla DC/DC but I don't think I'll be needing that since Leaf stack already has one. We'll see.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
4 modules, i.e. the full "short range" pack which is 56-ish kWh.

They measure 1370mm x 340mm x 80mm, 59kg (for one module) with connectors so will fit very nicely onto the cargo space floor.
Interesting trivia: the short-range, normal range, and long range Model 3 modules appear to all have the same dimensions, which are determined by the number of cells in the long-range version. The normal range version just has a patch of empty spaces down the middle where cells are not installed (so it's lighter but not smaller), and the short-range version is physically the normal range version but hobbled in software.

Unless you got some weird variation for short range and lower voltage, the pack should have two long modules (25S) and two short modules (23S), for a 96S complete pack; the long modules are placed in the middle and the short ones on the sides, allowing the front of the case to have clipped corners to clear the front wheels of the car. That's a physical length difference, due to the two extra cell groups in the longer modules. Cera, are you saying that you have four identical modules, all from the same car, and are they 23S?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
Interesting trivia: the short-range, normal range, and long range Model 3 modules appear to all have the same dimensions, which are determined by the number of cells in the long-range version. The normal range version just has a patch of empty spaces down the middle where cells are not installed (so it's lighter but not smaller), and the short-range version is physically the normal range version but hobbled in software.

Unless you got some weird variation for short range and lower voltage, the pack should have two long modules (25S) and two short modules (23S), for a 96S complete pack; the long modules are placed in the middle and the short ones on the sides, allowing the front of the case to have clipped corners to clear the front wheels of the car. That's a physical length difference, due to the two extra cell groups in the longer modules. Cera, are you saying that you have four identical modules, all from the same car, and are they 23S?
This is, in fact, not the case. :)

The modules I have are bit shorter than the "shorter" ones of the LR pack and with no empty gaps. I have no idea what specific model of M3 these are from and I've failed to find much info, but you can find them popping up for sale sometimes. The sketchy info I managed to gather is that Tesla used these first when M3 was introduced, and lateron switched to using the 2 slightly longer + 2 full length long modules for all packs and just took out the cells from the "normal" and "short range" ones.

(Picture not mine, from another build in openinverter).

You can find these packs unopened by their point of balance too (as there's tons of empty space in the other end).

The modules are shorter than either of those in the LR pack.

For reference the length of the modules in the LR pack are ~1700mm (for the shorter) and ~1900mm (for the longer). I had to rule those out sadly since even the ~1700mm ones would've been too long to fit inside the cargo area as the above reference picture shows.

EDIT:

Picture of the LR (and supposedly the newer SR pack as well):

You can clearly see that what I have are shorter than the ones on the side in the LR pack. The case and the "penthouse" are the same though. I sadly don't have the case so I cannot look at any parts numbers etc. Currently I think the best way for finding the "short range/short modules" pack which I have is through a seller who has opened the pack and can send pictures of what's inside. It sucks that there are deceivingly two "short range" packs and no easy way of telling them apart without opening first, but that's how Tesla seems to roll...

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
The modules I have are bit shorter than the "shorter" ones of the LR pack and with no empty gaps. I have no idea what specific model of M3 these are from and I've failed to find much info, but you can find them popping up for sale sometimes. The sketchy info I managed to gather is that Tesla used these first when M3 was introduced, and lateron switched to using the 2 slightly longer + 2 full length long modules for all packs and just took out the cells from the "normal" and "short range" ones.

Excellent info - so they're an early variant. I should have compared the stated length to other published information. Since they're the same length, I assume that they are all 24S... is that true?

This photo also shows the connections, which are like the later versions. The front ends have terminals on the end to link to the adjacent module, but the rear ends have posts which stick up, into the "penthouse" of the battery case. Is the plan to have a similar penthouse (perhaps as an extension of the step up in the van floor, and possibly between the lateral structures need to support the floor over the battery), or to modify the modules?

These modules are short enough to fit into lots of places that the later Model 3 modules won't, but they'll become hard to find as those specific cars are scrapped.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts