DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thought I'd join in on this discussion as I am doing a similar project. Have a Honda S2000 and installing an SDU reversed in the subframe.

All the fabrication is done. Now I need to modify the oil pump (swap hoses, change pressure limiter) and install OpenInverter board.

Batteries are my next issue. I bought a wrecked Hyundai Ioniq but then found out it was on the battery safety recall list. No way I'm taking that chance so got rid of it. Looking for a new source of battery modules available in Australia.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I saved myself around $400 or so dealing direct with Ovartech instead of StealthEV, once currency conversion and freight costs were worked out

Looking for a new source of battery modules available in Australia.
I've made inquiries with EV Power Australia, looking at their NCM cells. the NCM120A cell looks like it'll work for my needs while only ever needing to discharge at around 3C max, so within its specs. I think ive got it worked out properly, but im still learning a lot here. works out to around $19k worth of battery, but they are brand new, compared to around $23k for used model S batteries from Leon at lithium power.

but, this is probably hijacking his thread a bit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've made inquiries with EV Power Australia, looking at their NCM cells. the NCM120A cell looks like it'll work for my needs while only ever needing to discharge at around 3C max, so within its specs. I think ive got it worked out properly, but im still learning a lot here. works out to around $19k worth of battery,
Is that based on 96 x 120AH cells? That would meet my needs (ideally 120AH x 96s with a 5C peak discharge), but like the other options, I'll need to spend some serious time measuring available space, and seeing what will fit. Most likely I'll have to sacrifice a little of this ideal capacity. I see these cells for sale in Europe too at a similar cost for example https://eveurope.eu/en/product/westart-ncm-120-ah-lithium-battery-cell/

I suspect I'll be on the hunt for something a little lower cost too, but right now not decided on anything in particular.

·
Registered
30 Posts
88 cells, It packages a little nicer for me and the slight drop in voltage isnt an issue for me, But yes, all 120AH cells.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd join in on this discussion as I am doing a similar project. Have a Honda S2000 and installing an SDU reversed in the subframe.

All the fabrication is done. Now I need to modify the oil pump (swap hoses, change pressure limiter) and install OpenInverter board.

Batteries are my next issue. I bought a wrecked Hyundai Ioniq but then found out it was on the battery safety recall list. No way I'm taking that chance so got rid of it. Looking for a new source of battery modules available in Australia.
Yes! Your explenation is valid

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Batteries are my next issue. I bought a wrecked Hyundai Ioniq but then found out it was on the battery safety recall list.
I'm disappointed that this doesn't mean you get a new battery pack for free! Isn't that how recalls work?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Stealth EV charger sems pretty useless if the CAN documentation is not provided. Where do you find this?
I can't find it published, but I'm sure ovartech will provide it if you ask. As you say, the product would be useless without it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm disappointed that this doesn't mean you get a new battery pack for free! Isn't that how recalls work?
Yep, but when you show up at Hyundai with a battery pack on the back of a trailer they laugh at you.

Car was written off. The motor was actually hanging out the front, only held in by wiring looms.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Which was also what the Tesla Roadster was based on!
I finally found a photo of the layout of the Tesla Roadster. I will certainly use it for inspiration when it comes to my setup. I'll have to get the car apart before I can figure out what orientation of the motor will work, which is looking like it might not be for a few more weeks, but it definitely seems like the correct place for the battery is directly behind the seats.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
I finally found a photo of the layout of the Tesla Roadster. I will certainly use it for inspiration when it comes to my setup. I'll have to get the car apart before I can figure out what orientation of the motor will work, which is looking like it might not be for a few more weeks, but it definitely seems like the correct place for the battery is directly behind the seats.
View attachment 124030
That Power Electronics Module over the motor is impressively large. :)

In that photo the motor appears to be over the axle line, rather than behind it (other Tesla models before Model 3, including the Model S SDU), ahead of it (Model 3 rear and most other EVs), or coaxial with it (Chevrolet Bolt and various recent models from other manufacturers). That keeps the motor from interfering with the crossmember of the subframe, or with the battery ahead of it. The battery extends further rearward on bottom than at the top.

These images confirm the motor location:

(from a for sale post in another forum)
and

(from Tesla promotional material via an Inside EVs article)

... and this one shows the battery shape:
Building Automotive tire Engineering Machine Metal

(from Tesla Motors SEC filing)

·
Registered
12 Posts
View attachment 124030
The Roadster is listed in the Tesla EPC - might find some of the images useful.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts