DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to do an electric build on a 1981 Manual Corolla and would love some assistance and recommendations.

I’m pretty decent with both mechinacal and electrical stuff as a whole. I also work at a toyota dealership so I have people who can assist.

I am hoping to get like a top speed of like 45-50 and roughly a 50-60 mile range. It dose not need to be crazy zippy but would be cool. I my work commute is like 10 miles one way.

Obviously the less money I need to put in the better but I am thinking about 10k for the build.

also if I could have an upgrade path to extend the range in the future that would be nice. Like if I used led acid at first and switch to lithium batterys later.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
As someone else is guaranteed to suggest, you might want to consider using the L110 hybrid transmission from a Lexus GS 450h, without an engine, as an electric motor and reduction gear unit (replacing the original engine and transmission). Due to the layout of the Corolla it might fit, leaving the engine compartment free for battery and electronics... and with assistance from people at a Toyota dealership it might be a good opportunity to use this Toyota hardware.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As someone else is guaranteed to suggest, you might want to consider using the L110 hybrid transmission from a Lexus GS 450h, without an engine, as an electric motor and reduction gear unit (replacing the original engine and transmission). Due to the layout of the Corolla it might fit, leaving the engine compartment free for battery and electronics... and with assistance from people at a Toyota dealership it might be a good opportunity to use this Toyota hardware.
Would it not make sense for me to use electric engine with the Corolla transmission?

using a hybrid engine would still be using gas, so I was hoping to go fully electric

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
Would it not make sense for me to use electric engine with the Corolla transmission?
You can, and that's the traditional way to go, but the L110 (or any other motor with a small gearbox on it or no gearbox at all) could fit in the transmission tunnel. Adding a motor to the Corolla transmission, with an adapter to connect them, means that the motor will extend almost to the front of where the engine was.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So
You can, and that's the traditional way to go, but the L110 (or any other motor with a small gearbox on it or no gearbox at all) could fit in the transmission tunnel. Adding a motor to the Corolla transmission, with an adapter to connect them, means that the motor will extend almost to the front of where the engine was.
So you’re saying I can use that transmission without an engine correct?

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
So you’re saying I can use that transmission without an engine correct?
Yes. There are extended discussions of how to use this unit... it's probably easiest to search for "GS 450h", because most people don't use the actual unit name (L110). It's not the only way to go by a long shot... just a possibility to consider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. There are extended discussions of how to use this unit... it's probably easiest to search for "GS 450h", because most people don't use the actual unit name (L110). It's not the only way to go by a long shot... just a possibility to consider.
so if I were to go with this L110 transengine what more would I need? Obviously batterys but how much? Or what type?

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
so if I were to go with this L110 transengine what more would I need? Obviously batterys but how much? Or what type?
Any motor needs a controller - the L110 has two motors, and the obvious controllers to use are the ones that it comes with in the Lexus... I think they're both in one housing.

The choice of motor doesn't really determine the battery, although the battery needs to get configured for a suitable voltage (the L110 is designed for 288 V nominal). You need a large enough battery to hold enough energy to meet your range goal, and a large enough battery to withstand delivering enough power to meet your performance goals.

Any EV needs a battery management system (BMS), a charger, and a source of 12 V power (normally a 12 V battery and a DC-to-DC converter to supply 12 V from the main high-voltage battery). Plus lots of wiring...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.