DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone! This has been at the back of my mind for many years and I'm finally taking first steps into building an electric track car. I would like to hear general input from you guys regarding my planned project.

My background
So first of all, I'm not that very skilled auto-mechanics wise or fabrication. I am however very familiar with how everything works because I'm also drift racing as semi-pro and work closely with the mechanics. However when it comes to electric cars, I'm pretty clueless.

The car
The car I want to build is more of a "proof of concept". I want it to be insanely quick off the line to around 150, maybe 200 km/h. (That's 90 - 120 mph). Cornering is secondary, though not completely irrelevant. I also want to keep a "street-legal" look.

So having all of this in mind, I believe some older BMW coupe body would be perfect - E36 or E46. Since lightweight body panels are cheap and available locally (right from my drift friends :p ).

The goal
Since my goal is short bursts of power, I believe overheating (which seems to be the most common problem) and milage won't be that difficult for me. However, the tricky part must be getting the power to the ground. I will definitely need all-wheel drive so I guess my first question is - would transplanted AWD system from a car with LSDs in both diffs be better option (1 or 2 motors), or a custom 4 motor setup for each wheel would be smarter way to go? How would I control slip and manage multiple motors?

Budget
I would love to keep my budget under 50k€, but I can double that if it sounds impossible for such project.

So what do you guys think? :)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
If cornering isn't important, is the track use then to be drifting? If it's drifting, why AWD (since the point of drifting is to oversteer, not get useful drive traction)? Just curious...

If the interest is in an electric drift car, then this conversion thread will be of interest:
Tesla Powered Nissan r32 skyline

·
Registered
531 Posts
I agree. Please provide more information on the type of racing intended. As a racer myself I am limited to 2 wheel drive by my category. So your chosen category is very important at this point of your process. The category also defines whether your choice of chassis is appropriate. Some categories prohibit composite panels. While other categories may allow single seat/open wheel or sports car configurations. I have been considering building another race car specifically for hill climbing. For that one I was considering AWD through a Polaris gearbox. The Polaris gearbox is a nice, light, compact unit with reverse, low range, high range and the output shaft to a front diff. But it would only handle a 500kg vehicle so your BMW would not be an option. You also need to consider range. My car is 500kg with a 7kwh battery. My events only call for 0-100kmph and call for heavy acceleration. I generally use the entire capacity and even have to charge mid day sometimes. In these conditions I am only getting about 8km range from the pack. With a heavier car with more wind resistance and higher speeds you can expect to use power even quicker. So you will need a very big, very heavy battery. Or choose a very light, very aerodynamic chassis which will reduce the battery capacity required. Keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts