DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I'm completely new here. I'm based out of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I'm looking to convert my Classic Jaguar to electric.

I also run my own GreenTech and Solar company in Malaysia.

Would love all the advise, links, thoughts and guidance on where to start and where i can get parts.

TQVM.
Raj

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I'm completely new here. I'm based out of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I'm looking to convert my Classic Jaguar to electric.

I also run my own GreenTech and Solar company in Malaysia.

Would love all the advise, links, thoughts and guidance on where to start and where i can get parts.

TQVM.
Raj
Sounds like a good project! What's your budget?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say between USD 10 - 20k.

Would that be sufficient?
Also where should i look? Any guidance, links, or members who i should contact for assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Also where should i look? Any guidance, links, or members who i should contact for assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Yes that is a perfect budget (at least for in the US, I don't know about what EV parts cost in Malaysia).

Look up EV conversion on youtube to get a basic idea. There's also a channel called EV4U Conversions that I think is very helpful for someone just starting to learn about conversions.

Do you have a machine shop or know someone who does where you can make an adapter plate for the motor to attach it to the transmission? This is usually the hardest part of a basic conversion.

Do you have Nissan Leafs in Malaysia? Using a salvaged Nissan leaf motor and batteries is a popular option that can cost under $10k total.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the links. truly appreciate it.
Yes we have a few Nissan Leaf's here, but none are at the scrap yard just yet.

once again thank you and will keep looking for experts who can help me out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There is also a website called EVAlbum.com where you can see other people's conversions. There might be a conversion of your model Jaguar on there.

·
Administrator
6,295 Posts

Very very very few EV conversions cost under $20,000
The majority cost a good bit more than that

There are two routes to a cheap conversion
(1) Get a crashed production EV and use all of the parts - this is more difficult than it sounds as modern cars are rolling computers and you need to either learn enough to spoof its computers or to remove the "brain boards" and substitute aftermarket ones

(2) The old forklift motor method
I pay about $150 for a motor - a controller will set you back at least $1000
You will need batteries from a production EV that has crashed

You CAN get down to the $20,000 or under - but its not easy

·
Registered
165 Posts
Very very very few EV conversions cost under $20,000
The majority cost a good bit more than that

There are two routes to a cheap conversion
(1) Get a crashed production EV and use all of the parts - this is more difficult than it sounds as modern cars are rolling computers and you need to either learn enough to spoof its computers or to remove the "brain boards" and substitute aftermarket ones

(2) The old forklift motor method
I pay about $150 for a motor - a controller will set you back at least $1000
You will need batteries from a production EV that has crashed

You CAN get down to the $20,000 or under - but its not easy
I don't think that $20k is an unreasonable budget, even if using off-the shelf parts. A Netgain Hyper9 is $4200 USD, and 5 tesla model s modules ($1k each -- they've gotten much cheaper lately) is around $10k. Add in charger, DCDC converter, adapter plates, wiring, etc, and you can be easily under $20k.

The forklift motor method is not really a good approach any more. Nissan leaf motors are cheap and readily available (at least in the US) and can be paired with a $500 Thunderstruck VCU. That's around $1500 for a working motor and inverter. Then you can buy a complete leaf battery pack for under $6k. And then adding in charger, dcdc, etc, you're also well under $20k.

Now that factory EVs are everywhere in salvage yards, there's loads of parts available for cheap (except for anything tesla, which still costs an arm and a leg).

Again this is all in USD and in the US, the situation overseas is likely dramatically different. I have no idea what's possible in Malaysia.

·
Administrator
6,295 Posts
I don't think that $20k is an unreasonable budget, even if using off-the shelf parts. A Netgain Hyper9 is $4200 USD, and 5 tesla model s modules ($1k each -- they've gotten much cheaper lately) is around $10k. Add in charger, DCDC converter, adapter plates, wiring, etc, and you can be easily under $20k.

The forklift motor method is not really a good approach any more. Nissan leaf motors are cheap and readily available (at least in the US) and can be paired with a $500 Thunderstruck VCU. That's around $1500 for a working motor and inverter. Then you can buy a complete leaf battery pack for under $6k. And then adding in charger, dcdc, etc, you're also well under $20k.

Now that factory EVs are everywhere in salvage yards, there's loads of parts available for cheap (except for anything tesla, which still costs an arm and a leg).

Again this is all in USD and in the US, the situation overseas is likely dramatically different. I have no idea what's possible in Malaysia.
A Hyper9 is a wimpy motor for a small hatchback - completely unacceptable for a Jag

·
Registered
165 Posts
A Hyper9 is a wimpy motor for a small hatchback - completely unacceptable for a Jag
NetGain has bench tested the Hyper9 up to 110 kw - more than enough to get around. It's probably unlikely that he could even get a Netgain motor shipped to Malaysia, but I don't think it's a terrible choice if he can find a way to get ahold of one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts