DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
The biggest challenges I see are with control - it's going to take a LOT of coding to make all that stuff work properly.
The biggest problem is feature creep.

Take what could be a great design: A really simple, robust, lightweight, small, affordable vehicle with flexible interior space aimed squarely at the developing world and its limitations...

Then add the requirement that it also has to be a 4 wheel drive boat that can change shape like a Transformer, fly and run on harvested energy...

What do you get? Nothing. Big ideas are great but if they're going to grow they have to be rooted in reality.
jk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bill Gate's reality of what he can do to change the world, and how he might approach it, is a completely different picture than what I am capable of doing.
But Gates' approach is very much rooted in reality, affordable vaccines distributed and delivered by trained local staff. Doubtless he could have airdropped these from a spacecraft with all his wealth but he didn't, he worked with existing groups to develop and fund simple robust solutions to real problems. Solutions that work.

That's your vision. It is reasonable, logical, and worth pursuing.
Actually, my vision would be promoting the retention/reinstatement of the bicycle as first choice personal transport for city dwellers.

Such a concept promotes the opposite - the idea of changing the vehicle to suit its intended environment.
Conceptually that's all well and good but the reality is it doesn't work, it never has. There is no good technical solution the the wide range of requirements the OP has decided to address whether they be a billionaire genius, a dreamer or a jobbing engineer. Playing with ideas is fun and I'm not trying to dent the OP's enthusiasm, merely to suggest (s)he picks the battle more carefully.

I'm fully aware that some of the individual ideas are easy enough to implement in isolation and could make for a thought provoking concept but other bits really aren't and by the time you start combining multiple ideas what you end up with is something that no longer works properly in any role.

If for example the goal is to be able to cross rough terrain where there has been a landslide then why on earth would you look to fly (totally unrealistic power, training and maintenance requirements for very occasional use) when there are already good solutions like a winch and ladders that work well in the real world and barely detract from vehicle capability in normal use.

jk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.