DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Members!
This is Sarit from India. I am working on design an electric car that can adapt to climate change. This is a project out of my passion for innovation, relying on my engineering experiences. I need technical guidance in detail design of a prototype.

Let me introduce first. I am a Civil Engineering graduate, having two Masters in Environmental Science (one from University of New Orleans, NO, LA) and currently pursuing my Ph.D. in Hydrometeorology (Climate Science) at IIT Kharagpur (one of the top technical institutes in India). I also have one year professional experience in Industrial design. And I love to create creative solutions for sustainable future development.

As a researcher in climate science, I can foresee higher intensity/frequency in climate related disasters, flood, landslides etc. in coming years. I also read a lot on development of various green technologies, including electric car development. In my vision, we urgently need to design a car that should rely on on-board charging from renewable energy and have features that save passengers from any sort of climate disasters.

So, such car has to be little more than a conventional electric car. I named it "Car+". A set of +ve charges (features) will allow it to run anytime, anywhere. The critical features are listed below:

+1> On-board charging system using all sorts of renewable energy sources (solar/wind/rain/lightning), even waste heat of tailpipe exhaust from IC engines

+2> 4x4 wheel drive-by-wire

+3> Expandable in both length and width-wise using air-filled struts

+4> Capable of float and fly using balloon/rotors in case of emergency only

+5> Ultra-low turning radius

+6> Head-to-toe panoramic dashboard

Of course, the prototype of such a special vehicle may not be economically feasible, rather the innovations behind its features can be patented to get other cars retrofitted with.

I already have the outline sketch and looking to proceed into detail design. Members please help me. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dragonsgate!
Thanks for your reply. Let me clarify. Car+ is designed to ply through sudden floods which is becoming common event across the world. Making battery/wheel motors sealed will just allow to strand without fearing any damage, but it will not allow to drive to your destination in time!
While the two-ways expansion is proposed to allow it you to drive even through a narrow lane of just 4 feet wide (very much common in developing countries) and also allow you to have high capacity while you are on wider road! These narrow lanes actually prohibit millions of car enthusiasts living in developing countries to buy a high capacity car because of its size. At preliminary stage, Car+ is designed to expand from a size similar to 4-seater Tata Nano (the cheapest car in the world) to 9-seater Tata Winger (a mid-size utility vehicle). So, Car+ has to swell from 3100mm x 1400mm to 4920mm x 1900mm in length and width respectively, using air-filled struts. The design is underway, need to check the technical feasibility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Evmetro and Dragonsgate,
Thanks for your exquisite comments and suggestions. Let me mention that I have grown up in family of Mechanical and Electrical engineers and have extensive in-hand training. I am of course trying to develop a car using so-called out-of-box leap-frog technologies, but it is obviously will be much-sought in coming years. Will go component by component, scratching from basics. Starting with the expandable platform design, followed by driving transmission. ~Sarit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi crackerjackz!
Thanks for passionate words. Let me reaffirm that Car+ is not a regular flying or amphibious car, it can float or fly only during emergency like sudden flood or landslide. It is just a regular 4-wheeler with some additional features for adapting climate change at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Todd!
Thanks a lot for taking interest in Car+ design. You are right, architecture of Car+ quite possible with available technology. The real challenges are
1. to build an all-electric 4x4 drive train using drive-by-wire tech which need some serious coding

2. to develop an on-board charging platform (combination of solar panel, wind-turbine etc.) that integrate all-renewable energy sources

Its may sound crazy now, but I have a draft design of the integrated power-collector, will share in time. The coding would be tricky, will take up after the configuration of the hardware is ready. For the given dimensions, is it possible to estimate the cost building an expandable platform and along with the material details?

Just to mention, I am a big dreamer too..you may check website sarit dot in to find more details.

~Sarit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.