DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
There were also a lot of people that told a young, South African, whipper-snapper, full of dreams and enthusiasm, that he couldn't build cars that rival the best of the "real" manufacturers, and build rockets that go into outer space and back safely, and transport cargo to the ISS... :rolleyes: How can you tell a person they are dreaming too big, reaching too far, when you don't have all the information you need (including a peek into the future at their against-all-odds accomplishments) to say whether or not they can succeed?

By that reasoning Musk should have built a DC-powered Metro, and started with bottle rockets.

He didn't say the vehicle was going to market, or even that it had to function perfectly in every aspect - but, from what I understand, more that it provokes thought, at this point. The question then is more a matter of how much money, time, and knowledge, he has to invest in realizing it, or how much of each he can come up with over time? Elon didn't have enough money and knowledge to do Tesla and Space X on his own, but that hasn't stopped him so far.

With hub motors, the 4x4 part is solved. I can build a chassis that expands in length and width, with the equipment I have available now - it's just a matter of having the time and money to keep at it until it works right. That wouldn't even be that difficult to accomplish. Tight turning radius - four wheel steering... Most of what was proposed is actually doable.

The biggest challenges I see are with control - it's going to take a LOT of coding to make all that stuff work properly.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
...and 1.7 billion dollars.
Lol, for starting a new car manufacturing business and a space flight company, that isn't as much as it sounds like. Compared to developing one prototype vehicle that (according to the goals) isn't immediately production oriented, doesn't need a factory to build, or have to jump through government hoops....

Most of that vehicle he described, I can see how to build, with not even a mentionable fraction of Musk's money, if it was just meant to be a concept.
...Of course, the prototype of such a special vehicle may not be economically feasible, rather the innovations behind its features can be patented to get other cars retrofitted with...

Strangely enough I see that as a trivial problem,

Remember the old Twini Minis and Mokes,

Two independent engine/gearbox units - simply use the ground as a common feature to tie them together

Rather like an old fashioned standard differential - no code needed
I agree with you, I was just looking at all the stuff he wants together and thinking that computer control would make it seem like a viable 21st century application. Even econoboxes come with a lot of computer crap now, and we carry quite a bit of computing power in our pockets (compared to the good ol days).

+1> On-board charging system using all sorts of renewable energy sources...

+2> 4x4 wheel drive-by-wire

+3> Expandable in both length and width-wise using air-filled struts

+4> Capable of float and fly using balloon/rotors in case of emergency only

+5> Ultra-low turning radius (me: 4ws by wire electronic rack, with speed, steering angle, etc, sensors to determine how much and what direction the rear wheels turn)

+6> Head-to-toe panoramic dashboard

So, with concept vehicle in mind, imagine promotional videos showing the vehicle racing towards a narrow alley, sensors reading the obstruction ahead, and automatically narrowing the vehicle just in time. Yes, it's James Bond, but we actually have available technology - even for hackers - to accomplish this stuff now. That's a hyped up, concept car, style method of promoting the value of the technology. In real, litigation/liability centered, life it probably would only work if the vehicle were stationery and empty...

I'm just saying that what he proposes isn't out of the realm of possibility - even for a slightly above average Joe. It wouldn't be cheap, and it darn sure wouldn't be easy, but we don't know what he has to work with or how much drive and commitment he has to see it through.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
... When I read about your projects, you appear to be a bit of a dreamer yourself, but I am always impressed with your skills and with your extremely artistic perspective. The world could use more builders like yourself...
Thanks, I think?:confused: Kidding thanks!:D

I am a dreamer, and I do like to push the limits. The funny thing is I am really doing far less than I am capable of right now, for a variety of reasons. My biggest downfall is I really do things to try to encourage others about what's possible, but it's really hard to remain motivated and committed when people are saying, "you can't do it, it won't work, that's dumb, why not just take the easy way?"

...What I think you fail to see here, is that the chances of finding somebody who can dream this craft up, design it, AND build it are slim. You may be able to do this, but you are seeing things from the perspective of a gifted builder...
Thank you again. :) How do we know that he doesn't possess ten times my capabilities? I found internet forums a little over a decade ago and instantly started posting all my bright ideas. I was consistently and repeatedly told, "it will never work". The stuff I'm showing now is what I was already doing back then. I didn't show a lot of it to them because I grew weary of trying to convince people what I was holding in my hands was actually real. The stuff I can do, but don't show now, and have learned to not even discuss, people would continue to tell me I can't do.

I will say it again, I can see how to build that vehicle (as a concept) and it doesn't look that difficult. Even if I couldn't, that doesn't mean it's impossible - it means someone just might be able to see something I can't.

I didn't believe America was ready to elect a minority for President, I was wrong. I didn't actually believe that Musk could fly that darn rocket into space and back - I was wrong. I couldn't see what looked, and ultimately was, so simple to another, from their perspective. Until you stand in a man/woman's shoes...

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
The biggest problem is feature creep...

...What do you get? Nothing. Big ideas are great but if they're going to grow they have to be rooted in reality.
jk
My thing is whose reality. A billionaire's reality is a bit different than a poor guys. We still do not know what resources the OP has, has access too, or might gain access to. Even when aimed at the developing world, Bill Gate's reality of what he can do to change the world, and how he might approach it, is a completely different picture than what I am capable of doing.

...Take what could be a great design: A really simple, robust, lightweight, small, affordable vehicle with flexible interior space aimed squarely at the developing world and its limitations...
That's your vision. It is reasonable, logical, and worth pursuing. The OP has a different vision and, from what I understand, his goal is to provoke thought and inspire people to participate in finding solutions - a concept vehicle, not a directly applicable tool for those developing nations. He said his hope is that parts and pieces of his design can be implemented by others in their solutions. His entire website has that feel - creating the atmosphere for change, for something better, not exactly grassroots pour a ladle of food into a bowl. Both are needed. The grassroots level, hands-on, work must be done; and at the same time there need to be big ideas floating to establish a direction, and end goals.

...Then add the requirement that it also has to be a 4 wheel drive boat that can change shape like a Transformer, fly and run on harvested energy...
That's twisting things quite a bit. He has specified a few times that he meant it should be watertight for things like flash floods, not function as a boat. The expandable length and width are so that the same vehicle can haul more stuff and fit in tight spaces. The manufacturers have been experimenting with concepts like this for quite some time. One or a couple of the new city car concepts kind of folds in the middle so that it takes up half of a parking space. Sounds far-reaching but it is an elegant solution to a common urban problem. As mentioned, I could actually build that chassis now, with my available resources. The flying thing, if I understand correctly, is not to be a plane; but more to deal with things like a mud slide, where driving and floating are impossible. A hovercraft can probably accomplish this - it's not actually flying, but it's off the ground. And again, if I understand correctly, the idea is to present possibilities for solving a potential problem, not an immediately applicable solution. The key word he used that puts all that into perspective was - emergency.

Why don't I do all this if I think it's so easy? Because it's not my vision, not my goal, not my dream. I do, however, get his vision, goal, dream, and think it's worth considering.
...Big ideas are great but if they're going to grow...
In this case, the big idea can grow in the minds of others, to think differently, approach problems more responsibly and effectively. That vehicle will then have served its intended purpose. Big ideas help shock humans out of their fear of change, by allowing them to see how much better something can be. We've been building transportation essentially the same way for over a century, and changing the world around it to suit its needs. Such a concept promotes the opposite - the idea of changing the vehicle to suit its intended environment.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
...Take what could be a great design: A really simple, robust, lightweight, small, affordable vehicle with flexible interior space aimed squarely at the developing world and its limitations...
...That's your vision. It is reasonable, logical, and worth pursuing...
Just for the record, if this were your vision, according to your terms, I would offer the same type of support to you, for what you hope to accomplish. Even though I am, admittedly, a big idea kind of guy, I would try to think in more practical terms, to try to help you accomplish that goal.

I think both have merit, and like to try to see things from the person's perspective and help them stay clear and focused on their objectives.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.