DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whoops spelling. a ls600h hybrid transmission, lock the input shaft and replacement the transmission in the taco with that. It has 2 electric motors inside. and a Chevy volt battery would be a good candidate, run a little Honda generator for when u need a bit more range. Keeps things cost effective

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoops spelling. a ls600h hybrid transmission, lock the input shaft and replacement the transmission in the taco with that. It has 2 electric motors inside. and a Chevy volt battery would be a good candidate, run a little Honda generator for when u need a bit more range. Keeps things cost effective
I like all this except that trans might be hard to make work with the old transfer case. I will have to check. It's a right handed case, most modern Toyotas are lefties. Sadly I don't see any L110f transmissions in eBay either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Generator is a waste of time and money if you do the math on what it puts out
I was thinking about this, and my initial thought was to just chuck a generator in the bed and plug in when needed. But I did notice that the Audi Dakar team used a 2.4l engine as backup, so it seems for charge something larger is preferred. I guess it depends on how far I need to go.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You didn't do the math.

A large 8kW generator running for an hour gets you 24 miles, is noisy AF, stinks to high heaven, and needs dino juice...

A similar weight set of "range extender" battery modules (400lb) slipped into the bed gets you 120miles.

Generators make zero sense on an EV - they're half-assed hybrids. Maybe 1/4-assed.

There are chargers everywhere except Wyoming and North Dakota, iirc, and that's changing.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like all this except that trans might be hard to make work with the old transfer case. I will have to check. It's a right handed case, most modern Toyotas are lefties. Sadly I don't see any L110f transmissions in eBay either.
The ls600h transmission is the awd version, so you wouldn’t use the original t-case.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You didn't do the math.

A large 8kW generator running for an hour gets you 24 miles, is noisy AF, stinks to high heaven, and needs dino juice...

A similar weight set of "range extender" battery modules (400lb) slipped into the bed gets you 120miles.

Generators make zero sense on an EV - they're half-assed hybrids. Maybe 1/4-assed.

There are chargers everywhere except Wyoming and North Dakota, iirc, and that's changing.
Have a small 2kw onboard for emergencies, it’s an off-road taco. No chargers in the bush. but yes anything bigger is silly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You didn't do the math.

I haven't done the math yet, you are right about that. I would need something though, central vt and the north Maine woods have even fewer charging points. But, yes, point taken

·
Registered
170 Posts
You may want to lose the A/T at this point. What was stock? W56 in a manual version truck?
I did the same truck in my failed build, mine had a rare diesel engine and transmission though. Harder to find a replacement transmission when it started acting up from poor motor adaptor design.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Have a small 2kw onboard for emergencies, it’s an off-road taco. No chargers in the bush. but yes anything bigger is silly.
You'll get about 5 miles per hour of running the generator. An inverter running off a Tesla module will get you about 18 miles.

I guess I don't understand "emergencies" in the context of a vehicle battery. Only a fool would go into the bush with an EV without plenty of reserve after doing the roundtrip charging math.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You may want to lose the A/T at this point. What was stock? W56 in a manual version truck?
I did the same truck in my failed build, mine had a rare diesel engine and transmission though. Harder to find a replacement transmission when it started acting up from poor motor adaptor design.
Previous owner put a th350 in, to match the SBC 350. So losing that is fantastic. I'm at this point because i repaired the transmission, test drove it around town, and threw a rod in the engine. Done. With. Old. Tech.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts