DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm planning to convert a Geo Metro. I'm interested in buying a used or refurbished Advanced DC 8" motor or equivalent.

Thank you,

Peter

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I don't have a motor to sell you, but I can ensure you that you are choosing a good motor for a metro. One of my electric metros has the adc 8" motor in it, and it pulls way stronger than the ICE motor ever did, and that is with 1600 lbs of floodies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello evmetro,

Thanks for your input on the ADC 8" motor. It's reassuring to know that it's a good choice for the Geo.

By the way, how do you feel about putting in an ADC 9" motor, instead? Would that be overkill?

Thank you,

Peter

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I don't know how the 9 would perform. As a man, I naturally assume that bigger is better, but it may come with a price. Only thing I know for sure, is that 8 pulls my heavy lead sled harder than the ICE did. I am getting pretty close to finishing a metro with a hpevs ac system and 21kwh of lithium, so I will have something to compare the adc 8/ raptor 1200/ floodies to. Can't wait to see how your metro turns out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
evmetro,

The reason I asked about the 9" motor is that I found out the ADC 9" motor costs only $200 more than an ADC 8", so it seems to me that it might be worth going with an 9", assuming the performance you get in return justifies the extra cost.

I can't wait to see your AC + lithium conversion. How exciting!

Peter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Evmetro,
I'm also in the process of converting a metro. I used a forklift motor and I'm in the process of purchasing floodies but am concerned about the weight. How did you distribute the batteries and what mods did you do to the Metro suspension to support 1600 lbs?
Dan

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
first: 8" motor fits well in a Metro/Swift,
9" requires fairly extensive messing around with motor mounts, weighs more, and may produce enough torque to ruin transmission if you go too powerful with the controller. If you want more acceleration, put the extra money into a bigger controller like Soliton Jr.

second: I would NOT recommend lead.... I originally built mine w 96v (12 x 8v) floodies, and entry level curtis 1221c. It worked, BUT performance was borderline, brakes were barely enough, suspension was maxed. When new I had a max range of about 35 miles, with the last half of that sagging and slow. Upgraded to 120v (38 x 100ah) Li, and its like a new car. performs better than stock, even w wimpy curtis 1221c.

I documented every step of my build, and upgrade, follow link in sig...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I agree that 1600 lbs of lead is too much for a metro. I purchased this lead sled already converted, but wrecked. (I have many years as a journeyman bodyman, so it worked out for me) whoever converted it hacked it up pretty good, so I don't have much good info to pass along about building a lead sled. I do expect very nice handling out of the lithium one that I am building now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts