DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello folks!
I have got a pair of factory Ford Ranger EVs, one of which I am attempting to "restore" and get back on the road! I'm looking for a high voltage pack to do a Lithium swap on the white truck.
As a young (22 yo.) EV enthusiast, I don't have a ton of money to spend, so I am on a bit of a budget... But if you have something you're looking to get rid of for a good deal, I'd be very interested. I'm aiming to try and put at least 30kwh in the truck.
I might also be interested in doing a trade for my red Ranger (which is currently listed for sael). It is mostly complete, minus a few small things, and has a dead lead-acid pack. Supposedly ran/drove 3 yrs. ago according to previous owner...
I'm located in north San Diego county.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 34kWh Chevy Bolt pack I’m So CAL. Five out of six modules have already been wired for BMS.
Sorry, didn't see your reply until today. Unfortunately the ~1/2 of a Bolt pack wont work as it wont have enough cells in series to run one of these trucks.... Whatever pack I put together has to be at least 84s (up to 96s).
Thanks for the offer though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,

I have 40 Nissan Leaf modules that I purchased for a project before realizing I didn't have time for it. Located in Orange County. Let me know if they would work for you and perhaps we can work something out.

Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,

I have 40 Nissan Leaf modules that I purchased for a project before realizing I didn't have time for it. Located in Orange County. Let me know if they would work for you and perhaps we can work something out.

Rob
Hi Rob!
Unfortunately, 40 of the leaf modules wont get me to the voltage I need to run the truck... Its got to have about 90 cells in series (+/- 2 or 3 cells) to get the proper voltage. Although maybe it would be a possibility if I could get ahold of another couple Leaf modules. What year Leaf did they come from, and do you know how much capacity they still have?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Rob!
Unfortunately, 40 of the leaf modules wont get me to the voltage I need to run the truck... Its got to have about 90 cells in series (+/- 2 or 3 cells) to get the proper voltage. Although maybe it would be a possibility if I could get ahold of another couple Leaf modules. What year Leaf did they come from, and do you know how much capacity they still have?
Hi, how high a voltage are you looking to run? I don't know the capacity, I know they are 500ah modules.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi, how high a voltage are you looking to run? I don't know the capacity, I know they are 500ah modules.
Do you mean 500wh? Gen1/2 Leaf cells are 64/66ah respectively when new (which works out to about 500wh per module). Do you know if they are gen 1 or gen 2 cells? Both are very well known for degradation issues, though the gen 2s are typically better.
I need to get up to ~325-335v nominal (or around 360-370v fully charged).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you mean 500wh? Gen1/2 Leaf cells are 64/66ah respectively when new (which works out to about 500wh per module). Do you know if they are gen 1 or gen 2 cells? Both are very well known for degradation issues, though the gen 2s are typically better.
I need to get up to ~325-335v nominal (or around 360-370v fully charged).
Sorry, yes. 500wh. Gen 2 modules. I just confirmed. I'll let them all go for $1,200. If you connected them all in series, you would need just 4 more to get to 330v?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, yes. 500wh. Gen 2 modules. I just confirmed. I'll let them all go for $1,200. If you connected them all in series, you would need just 4 more to get to 330v?
That's pretty tempting... It wouldn't get me quite the range I'm hoping for, but it may be good enough to get the truck up and running until I can afford a bigger pack. Let me do a little more research and I'll let you know. Do you have any pictures of them?

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's pretty tempting... It wouldn't get me quite the range I'm hoping for, but it may be good enough to get the truck up and running until I can afford a bigger pack. Let me do a little more research and I'll let you know. Do you have any pictures of them?
I only opened one of the boxes to see what they look like but I can send pics of the boxes stacked up along the wall. :D

I will also forward a pic looking into the box that was opened.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts