DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dowel pins in my motor coupler broke off. I have been told the only way to get them out is EDM "zap" them out, so I am looking for a replacement coupler while I get this work done. Let me know if anyone has one for sale. I called the manufacturer and left a message but don't hold out much hope they still make these.

2019-10-05 10.58.14.jpg

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
The dowel pins in my motor coupler broke off. I have been told the only way to get them out is EDM "zap" them out, so I am looking for a replacement coupler while I get this work done. Let me know if anyone has one for sale. I called the manufacturer and left a message but don't hold out much hope they still make these.

View attachment 114427

Pretty amazing you broke off three hardened pins. The adapter end allows you to use a flywheel that will utilize 8 pins. After you get the pins out be sure you use all 8 pins on a new flywheel that has been drilled for 8 pins. It will be much stronger. You should be able to get the pins out. If you have a wire feed welding torch just lightly arc the wire to the pin. Make sure the wire sticks to the pin. Be sure you protect the surrounding hole so no welding spatter sticks. The pin should come out without much effort. Or a tiny but strong magnet that you can stick to the pin. Pull a steady pull but not a quick pull. A slow steady pull should get them out. Warm up the adapter to allow for that to release pressure on the pins.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I'll try those methods to get the pins out. I still want a replacement adapter so I can do this and not have the car "down". For now I reinstalled with a single pin. There is a lot of torque but not the violence associated with an ICE so I think it'll be fine.

The adapter can't really be used with an 8 pin setup since the screws where you hold in the taper fit part of the adapter tighten in the location of the other dowel pins.

The company that makes the adapter will sell me a new one for $300 but I am going to wait for now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts