DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to make an adapter between a Leaf motor and a transaxle, and it seems to me that the motor side of the Leaf gearbox would be a good casting to base it on. If the primary spline/gear is also available, that would be bonus.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A drawing would be useful, as my other thoughts were to either fabricate it out of 5mm aluminium or carbon fibre, however having a motor side gearbox housing gets me most of the way there - I would only need a piece of 5mm aluminium sheet to mate up to the transaxle.
I bought a Fiat124 clutch on the strength of what others have said, but I don't think it's a very good fit - there is some play in the splines, which I think will just wear the motor shaft splines down in time. The Leaf primary spline/gear is a much better fit and has the benefit of an intermediate bearing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a leaf gearbox and I also need to make an adaptor. Others have demonstrated that the Fiat 124 can be used as the spline.

I can try to draw up the casting if you want?

See photo of the main gear and also the clutch from my BMW2002.
View attachment 120681
I agree with George. If you PM me, I can send you video of how the fiat clutch fits. The Fiat clutch has 20 splines, but it as a 30 degree angle as opposed to a 20 degree angle on the Leaf motor.

·
Registered
89 Posts
A drawing would be useful, as my other thoughts were to either fabricate it out of 5mm aluminium or carbon fibre, however having a motor side gearbox housing gets me most of the way there - I would only need a piece of 5mm aluminium sheet to mate up to the transaxle.
I bought a Fiat124 clutch on the strength of what others have said, but I don't think it's a very good fit - there is some play in the splines, which I think will just wear the motor shaft splines down in time. The Leaf primary spline/gear is a much better fit and has the benefit of an intermediate bearing.
@GeorgeC - it seems these files are at: For Sale: em57 leaf motor couplers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts